It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 08:41 PM   #1

Lauren1981 HB User
Unhappy I'm 21 and having palpitations!!

Hi, i'm a 21 year old female and for the past 5 months i have been having weird palpitations. I have had anxiety disorder and depression for almost a year now. I am taking Aropax for it. I have been on this medication for 2 weeks now. Before, i would get the odd palpitation once every 2 to 3 weeks, but now every month or less i have had these palpitation episodes where i get them continuously. For example the other week i was watching tv and all of a sudden i had 1 palp after the other i was having one every 1-2 minutes. This really scare's me. It feels like there is a bird in my chest, like a fluttering feeling. Like my heart is doing a summersolt. I've had every test done under the sun - ecg's, echocardiogram, blood tests, Chest x ray, everything came back normal. My doctor said it can have something to do with Anxiety. It really worries me. Also when i am having them i lay down on my bed and they disappear. I don't know why this is , if there is anyone else with a problem similar please contact me. Im am the hugest worry wort there is. Please help!

Old 08-15-2003, 06:30 AM   #2
Wilslau

Hi Lauren...I happen to be a 20 year old Lauren in Canada...I am experiencing similar problems...

I get what I guess you could call palpitations...My heart will be beating along normally, and every so often (and it seems only in the evening) I will get this weird beat, that feels like a different rhythm than normal, and also feels kind of fluttery. Then it returns to normal for a few beats and alternates.

Is that like what you are experiencing? I am concerned it may be from anxiety, as I am a panic attack sufferer. But I do not experience these fluttery palpitations during an attack, I only get the increased heart rate for those......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #3

Lauren1981 HB User
Smile

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thankyou so much for answering Lauren....what a coincedance hey. Thankyou for sharing your problem with me. And it does sound very much like what i am experiancing too. I was wondering....how long do yours last for? Mine can last up to half an hour to an hour! When i have them i get myself worked up over it thinking oh my god im going to die, but still i've had the tests and nothing is wrong with me. Im too scared to do any physical activities. Do u find that you tend to have a lack of energy, your heart rate is raised and it's an effort to do anything? i look forward to hearing from u again.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #4

tracey2775 HB User
ive been having palps since i was 16. i was just sitting down to eat a yoghurt and then THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. i though my god im having a heart attack. i also avoid any physical activity which makes my heart beat fast. walking upstairs even frightnes me sometimes. i used to love aerobics but wouldnt dream of doing it now.

------------------
tracey

Old 08-19-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
Wilslau

Mine also last for half hour to an hour...There is no pain though when I have the "fluttering" heart beat. I do have pains pretty frequently that can last for hours...I also feel tired alot of the time, but I think for me personally it is just anxiety and worry dragging me down...

Old 08-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #6

jes356 HB User
I too am 21 and out of the blue started getting heart palpitations last week. I have been to see my doctor but am waiting to see a cardiologist. My palpitations seem to start in the morning and last all day long, pretty much constantly, only they don't happen every day. Yesterday I went the whole day without a single noticable palpitation and today I've been having one every 30-60 seconds for about 10 hours. It is making me very nervous and the other day I actually went to the emergency room because they were coming so close together. The ER doctor told me that some people can have one every other heart beat and live normal lives. I just don't know. I think I am getting so nervous about them I am just making them worse. It makes me feel better to know that there are other young people out there who have this same problem, hopefully knowing you are not alone will make you feel a little better too.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
I had my first palpitation experience when I was a kid, I remember saying to my friend "my heart just did a summersolt" Over the years I would feel that "rumbling" in my chest off and on, I knew it was my heart, but being young, I never worried to much about it. When I got older (in my thirties) I started getting shorth runs of racingheart beat but feeling otherwise healthy, I still did not worry. I'm a senior citizen now and still get the skips, racing heart beats a few times a month. About a year ago I finally saw a cardiologist and had all the tests done. He said my heart is healthy and not to worry about my palpitations, I just have to live with them. I'm writing this because I'm now 74 years old and as you see, you will not die from the problem as long as your heart is healthy. It is an electical problem and if it gets real bad it can be probably corrected with an ablation or pills.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #8

imsotired HB User
Smile

I am 26 and mom of 2 pre-schoolers. I get palpitations 2-4 times a week, but they usually only last for 30 sec. or so and stop. However, they are ALWAYS followed(but not usually during) by heaviness/difficulty breathing. Does this happen to you? or anyone else? I get this A LOT without the palpitations as well, mostly in the evening while at rest (watching TV or laying down.)

Old 08-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #9

poetgirl HB User
Smile

We'll I had my first incounter at 10 yrs old Mom& Dad took me the Dr.he ask me if I got excited when it happened I sayd yes, He then told me if it ever happened again just please try to stay calm .Wasn't until my late twentys till they slowly started up again and yes it botherd me but I kept it to myself till I thought maybe I should tell my family Dr. Did that he had me ware a moniter for a day & a night then returned it to him and waited for him to call me.Dr called told me that yes I was getting irigular heart beats but not enough to give medicine for it.So for alot of years more back when I was in my twentys and thirtys not so much now 8 yrs ago I had a histerectomy
then they only came once in a while .I thank God for when I would get these attacks it would definately scare me so bad sometimes. But hears what I would do when my heart was raceing so I'd get up go to my favorite chair hold my Bible ever so close pray and ask the Lord to help me calm down and put everything in his hands and God would answer my prayer everytime when it would sometimes happen God gave me the peace in knowing that everything would be alright if I kept the Faith and trusted in him.You know I'm 54 yrs old raised 6 children and believe me theres been many a time in all those years I had to go to the Lord and never once has he failed me for hes always there waiting for us to call on him.And with all things we find wrong in our bodys we all need to know we have a father in heaven that if we put our faith in can help us through anything we face in life.And he also put knowlage in our Drs to help to find out our problems.Just like now someone may be reading this and never even knew anything about God.But I'm here to say God is so good and when Gods on your side you have a friend who will stick closer then a brother as it reads in the Bible.PS;As far as myself after all these years I personaly really think the irregular beats I still get once in awhile are a Hormonal imbalance---eat lotts of Bananas and take Calcium & Magnesium {Magnesium} is a heart regulater ask your Dr.Ok

Closed Thread