It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 05:58 PM   #1

imsotired HB User
Question Someone enlighten me on Mitral Valve Prolapse

Hey everyone, I've been on the thyroid board, but MVP keeps coming up there and I thought I'd ask about it here. I have symptoms of heaviness/ difficultly breathing 2-5 times/day and palpitations 2-3 times/week for a few months now. It happened close to 3 years ago as well, but stopped. My NP asked me if MVP was in my family and I told her I had never even heard of it before (about 2 months ago). She did EKG...fast/slight irregularity but said it was fine and dropped it. Should I be concerned? I MAY also be Hypothyroid...looking for new doc. Can anyone help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #2

imsotired HB User
Cool

Just moving this back up to the top! Can anyone help me out with this? Anything will help! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
Smile

Hi! My doctor discovered my mitral valve prolapse two years ago. I'd been diagnosed with mono that summer, and I had palpitations and heaviness in my chest that continued into October. I hadn't been worried because these were symptoms of mono, but they were continuing long after the mono, so I went in to the doctor. He did an EKG, and everything looked fine. He wasn't concerned, thought it was probably just the mono sticking around, but told me to come back if they continued. The palpitations and heaviness seemed to get worse - the heavy feeling was so bad, I could hardly hold my body up w/o slumping sometimes. The doctor scheduled me for an ultrasound. From the ultrasound, he found the mitral valve prolapse and I was also having PVC's - I had an extra half-heartbeat before each beat. He said that the mitral valve is something that 30% of women have - it's pretty common. It's when the flap over the valve doesn't work right, and blood can go back into the atrium. My mom also has the MVP - it's a hereditary condition. He said that most people don't even need medication for it - if I felt like passing out or had palpitations very often he'd give me beta blockers. He said the PVC's can be caused by stress, and can in some people come out only during stress. This explains why he didn't detect them during my EKG. At this appointment, I was actually doing better and had been for about a week. It's been two years since that appt., and I've been doing very well. I very seldom get PVC's or palpitations. I think getting over the mono and having a new job was what brought the palpiations and PVC's to the surface. In church of all places, I sometimes get them. I think it has something to do with the building - there isn't much airflow and it's very stuffy.

Anyway, if you do have MVP, you might have to have antibiotics before dental cleanings or surgery. It's because the bacteria may lead to a heart infection. My doctor has never recommended them for me, at least not for dental cleanings. I would suggest getting an ultrasound done to see if MVP is what you have. There are a couple of threads about MVP on this board, so you may want to do a search for them. Hope this helped. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by LeeLee3 (edited 08-24-2003).]

Closed Thread