It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #1

Rocklyrics HB User
Post Scared as Hell!

Hi,
I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has a similar condition. I am 26 years old and for over 12 months I have been experiencing constant mild to severe chest and stomach pains. For most of the time the pain in my stomach is like having a mild infection, but sometimes it flairs up into pain strong enough to bend me double. The pain in my chest ranges from a tight asthma type feeling to so bad I think I'm having a heart attack. My doctor thinks the two are related, however the pains are not always severe, or present at the same time. I was first prescribed antibiotics because the doc thought it was an infection, which did no good. I am currently on ulcer treatments which are also doing nothing. I have had a chest xray and an ecg both of which are ok and am on the waiting list for a gastroscopy. I have had to go to a&e a couple of times it was so bad and have been told it could be a strained muscle? or stress. I work in IT support, which is a stressful job, but I enjoy my work so that shouldn't stress me should it? Also it doesn't go away even when I take a couple of weeks break, in fact it has been steadily getting worse over the year. I have tried to avoid spicy food and have also consumed vast quantities of milk, but that doesn't make a difference either. I have eaten very hot chilli kebabs after a night out without it making things worse and then the next week just eating plain food it has flared up badly. I am also suffering from extreme loss of appetite and have to force myself to eat. I have started drinking protein shakes because I know I have not been putting enough nutrients in my body but nothing helps. As a teenager and into my early 20s I abused my body quite badly with very large quantities of cannabis, painkillers and so on and am very worried I have done myself irreparable damage. In all other respects I am fitter and healthier than many of the people of my age that I know, 2 years ago I hiked from Holland down to Spain, but now I struggle to walk a couple of miles without pain. I have a new baby on the way and don't want to leave it fatherless, does anybody have a clue as to what is wrong with me to ease my mind? P.S.I am not a hypochondriac, previously I very rarely went to the docs, I now only take painkillers when absolutely necessary and even when feeling lousy with flu or whatever I still go to work, get things done etc and try not to complain, but this has me very worried.

------------------
Make Every Minute Count - Your Last One Will Come As An Awful Shock!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
In my opinion it doesn't sound like a heart problem. Most people will have shortness of breath with heart related illnesses.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:39 PM   #3

whitedove555 HB User
Arrow

Hi there ! I am certainly not a Dr so i encourage you first and foremost to continue with the dr you have and perhaps call him/her and tell them you are really becoming concerned about your heart or maybe see a cardiologist if you are able to, to reassure you . From your description of your sympyoms, It sounds to me like its more of a gatro problem, possibly even a bad case of Gastroesophugal reflux. and worrying i am sure is adding to your loss of appetite. i think you can only be reassured at this point br your dr but i hope i helped some.

------------------
kim

Old 08-22-2003, 10:55 PM   #4

msproperlady HB User
Hello! I think Kim has given you some good advice regarding the possibility of your problem being Acid Reflux. No, I'm certainly not a doctor, but within this year I've had the same sounding pain. Actually thought I was having a heart attack the pain was so severe with nausea and sweating. I do have Mitral Valve Prolapse so was concerned.

I've never really had heartburn so didn't think it was GERD, but my doctor prescribed Nexium and haven't had the problem since. With your past "history" this could very well be the case. I did have my gallbladder out in May, that might be something for you to consider also.

Keep on with your present doctors and hopefully they'll be able to give you some relief soon. Congratulations on becoming a father!!! It's a wonderful ride being a parent. I have three grown and six grandkids.

Good luck and keep in touch!! Judy

Old 08-24-2003, 03:02 PM   #5

Rocklyrics HB User
Smile

Thanks to everyone for replying. This site has helped calm me a bit as I have read posts from people who have had similar symptons without a definite diagnosis for a few years. Hopefully I will get my gastroscopy soon and it will show I'm worried over nothing!

Closed Thread