It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #1

rachelh69 HB User
Post Question about Beta Blockers

I'm on metoprolol, 75 mg a day for the past 6 months. Ever since I've been on this medication I've been ravenously hungry all the time. I'd need to eat every couple of hours and would get sick if I tried to wait.
My thyroid and sugar has been checked and it's fine.
Anyway, the last time I went to the DR he out me on a diet and told me to take chromium.
I was already a little overweight for my height when I started the medication now I've gained even more even though I'm eating healthier and exercising.
My DR put me on a really strict diet of only eating breakfast and lunch, no dinner, no sugar, margarine, oil, no meat, basically nothing that's bad for me. I can follow the diet pretty well except for not eating dinner. I'm having a hard time with that.
Anyway, I'm 5'3, 138 lbs last visit at Dr's. I've lost a little but I'm still not losing weight. The chromium does help with the intense hunger.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem taking a beta blocker and being hungry all the time or gaining weight.
Up until now I've never had a problem with weight and could lose easily without dieting.
I'm frustrated, I can't lose the weight, have to take the medicine{it works very well controlling the tachycardia, also have MVP, with no other side effects} and I'm afraid of other problems that can occur with the excess weight, like diabetes, heart disease. That's one of the reasons my DR put me on such a strict diet. To keep me from other far worse problems.
Am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so, what did you do about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 04:45 PM   #2

NMc HB User
Geez Rachel, I've never heard of such a diet (skip dinner??). Why not simply cut down on the number of calories you consume at a given meal, and have several meals throughout the day? I'm also not sure whether "weight", in and of itself, is an appropriate guide to whether you have a problem or not. Many muscular people are "obese" by BMI standards. You might benefit from seeking the advice of a nutritionist.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:22 PM   #3

rachelh69 HB User
I've cut way down on calories and only eat two meals a day. It was my DR that said I needed to lose or I'd end up with worse problems because of the excess weight. But I admit I want to lose weight. All of my weight goes to my hips and thighs. I guess at least it doesn't go to my waist. I've always been hippy with somewhat of a thigh problem even when I was a size 2.
Anyway, my Dr said to not even eat salad unless I eat it without salad dressing. For me, anyway, it's tough to eat salad with no salad dressing and no seasoning of any kind on anything. I'm okay with no meat and basically okay with no seasoning because I don't care alot for cooked foods. I prefer salad.
THe real problem is that I simply can't lose the weight. No matter how hard I try even when I eat very little and exercise two hours a day.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:17 AM   #4

JeanE716 HB User
I take that same med, am 5'4, and weigh about 5 lbs more than you do. I have a lot of other health issues along with the heart and my dr. never suggested that I was so obese. In fact, they do not want me under 130 lbs. That is more than I weighed when I had the heart attack last year and I've put on the weight since then. I was taken off this med and it changed nothing as far as apitite is concerned. It changed by taking me away of my heart being controlled to not being controlled though. I have never heard of a dr. who says no supper. Nor have I heard of not eating salads for weight loss. I do know that you have to read the labels of bottled dressings to be sure that it is low in both calories and cholestrol. I have been able to do nothing for the past almost a year so no exercize equal weight gain. For my salad I put a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and balsomic vinegar and for a spice I use things like pepper and basil. I could not eat a salad with nothing unless they genetically changed me into a rabbit!!!!! My old dr said this was a good way to eat them and my new dr. confirmed it. I would definately seek out nutritional counselling before I would make those drastic changes in eating. Only certain spices like salt are harmful to cardiac issues. The counsellor can give you the scoop of exactly what to eat and what to stay away from according to your health issues and your meds.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:58 AM   #5

NMc HB User
Hi again Rachel:
Has your doctor considered there might be a metabolic problem responsible for your weight gain? When you exercise, what type of exercise do you engage in (aerobic or resistance training)? Have you been a "yo-yo" dieter in the past?

Old 08-24-2003, 06:59 PM   #6

rachelh69 HB User
No, my DR didn't even bring that up. He just put me on that strict diet.
It hasn't been too long since I had blood workup and everything was fine.
I've been going between aerobic exercise and powerwalking.
I've never yo yo dieted. The fact is I've never dieted before in my life. Never had to. I could eat virtually anything I wanted and never gain weight and if I did all I had to do is cut the fattening food out and I'd lose weight. I could eat out, eat anything, I could eat junk food every day and if I did gain it would take months to gain any weight. Once I got really sick and lost alot of weight and the DR said I needed to gain some weight. It took several months to gain weight, eating anything I wanted.
Now, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I don't lose and if I manage to lose a couple of pounds I'll gain it right back. It took me a month to lose just a couple of pounds then for whatever reason I gained some back.
And that's on a low calorie diet but obviously not low enough.
I'm frustrated and angry. I know if just quit worrying about it I'll end up gaining too much.
Anyway, I'm at my wits end and my metabolism has just stopped.
I'm wondering if I'm now in a time in my life where I'm going to be overweight and there's nothing I can do about it. Short of eating only one low cal meal a day.
Maybe you just to a certain age and you can't lose no matter what you do. I hear enough people saying that.

Closed Thread