It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM   #1

gcouncil HB User
Unhappy arythmia and some pain=SCARED!

I am a 33 year old male 5'7" 150lbs. In '96 I had an aortic valve replacement to correct a congenital condition. I don't smoke, but don't exercise regularly either.

I've been having arythmias which I know are normal based on my surgery, but for the last 3 weeks I've been experiencing some mild discomfort in the center of my chest in the area just between my nipples (blush).

To be honest, I can't really tell if the pain is coming from my back between my should blades or not.

It isn't precipated by anything in particular and I can run up a few flights of stairs without any pain. The last time I was on a treadmill working out was at the end of July and I don't remember feeling anything other than fatigue. I don't remember any serious left arm pain or numbness that others have described.

I have high cholesterol / triglicerides but have modified my diet to avoid heavy starches. I am meeting with my doctor to get a prescription.

I'm freaking out because I don't want to have another operation and am also wondering whether or not I'm have early stages of angina or a heart attack.

I thought I was going to put all of this behind me and have a healthy life after my surgery.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
With the symptoms you describe I would suggest you see your cardiologist. The pain that in your chest and goes to your back bone is like the pain I described before my blockage was discovered. My trigs were only slightly elevated and my HDL was low other than that family history and being slightly overweight was my only risk factors. I was only 41 and female. I would not wait too long before seeing a doctor.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #3

gcouncil HB User
Well it looks like it is probably Costochondritis. My doctor gave me an anti-inflamatory and it seems to be working. Still going for an echo in September just for peace of mind.

Some info I found:

* Chest pain associated with costochondritis is usually preceded by exercise, minor trauma, or an upper respiratory infection.

* The pain usually will be sharp and located on your front chest wall. It may radiate to your back or abdomen and is more common on your left side.

* The most common site of pain is your fourth, fifth, and sixth ribs. This pain increases as you move your trunk or take deep breaths. Conversely, it decreases as your movement stops or on quiet breathing.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User
I do want to warn you about someting, especially since you have had aortic valve surgery. Costochondritis is a common condition, but if at any point you feel a sudden, very painful sensation in your chest, (not that you wouldn't anyway), but bust to the hospital as fast as you can. You are at a higher risk than the general population for something called an aortic dissection...i.e. where blood splits the layers of the aorta and tracks between them. It's a surgical emergency and you should watch for that.

Closed Thread