It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #1

lexy2222 HB User
Question Do I have an irregular heartbeat??

Hey everyone. I've been getting palpatations for the past couple of years and have been to the cardiologist and have had numerous tests done, only to be told that I'm fine and that it's probably from anxiety. In a couple of days I have to go to the dentist and don't know what to fill out on the questionaire where they ask you about your medical history. Do I mark that I have an irregular heartbeat? My doctor has told me that everyone gets palpitations whether they feel them or not. Wouldn't that mean that everyone has an irregular heartbeat? Sorry for the silly question - but I'm confused! Thanks for your replys,
Lexy

Old 08-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
I wouldn't put that you have an irregular heart beat. Usually there is a long list of illnesses on a new patient form. If it lists palpatations mark it yes. If it doesn't I wouldn't even mention it. By the way, you might cut caffeine out if you've not already done that.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #3

Msbugg HB User
Perhaps it would be better to put the palpitations on the form whether they ask specficially or not. The reason is that if the dentist has to give you novacaine, which can cause an increased heart rate as it has adrenaline properties, you might feel palpitations as well.

I didn't know about this and had a root canal done. Of course the novacaine made my heart race and I got very anxious and flushed. I panicked and wanted to stop everything which we couldn't. Later the dentist said if I had mentioned the palpitations, I could have had a form of novacaine that has much less of the adrenaline properties and rarely causes those side effects. While the numbing is very effective and just as good as the regular, it does wear off sooner when you return home.

Anyway, do yourself a favor. Let the dentist know and that you would prefer to use the non-adrenaline form of novacaine in the future. It can be put on the front of your file...as mine is now.
Good luck!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #4

lexy2222 HB User
Thanks for your replys. I actually went to a previous dentist who used novacaine on me and I got a really bad reaction like you did MSBUGG. But now that I'm switching and I've been getting these PAC's, I don't really know how big of a deal it is to tell them. I don't really know if you'd consider what I have to be an irregular heartbeat.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #5

rachelh69 HB User
Another thing that might help is to also cut out sodas. Even diet ones. They will make those pac's, pvc's worse. And drank a good bit of water.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:18 AM   #6

Msbugg HB User
I don't quite understand why you would risk having another bad reaction to the novacaine by not telling your dentist about the palpitations? The other form of it is so much better, is exactly as effective but unless you ask for it, he won't use it.
But it's your decision...good luck.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #7

Macka HB User
Always best to give too much information rather than too little. If he's not interested he will just ignore it.

Closed Thread