It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #1

Macka HB User
Post Questions

When I was 8 or 9 I was told I had a heart murmer. When I was 19 I started to get a irregular heart beat. What is the difference between these two?

I am now 23 and still get an irregular heart beat from time to time. Sometimes I will go 2-3 months with nothing, and sometimes i will get it pretty much every day for months. Usually they last for a couple of hours, but can last longer or shorter. The flutter/skipped beat will happen about every 30 seconds or so. Should I be worried? I had a couple of tests when i was 19, including that 24 hour test where you have a tape recorder attached to your chest so it can record you for the day and night. I was told it wasn't anything, just PVC. It annoyed me because i never even saw my cardiologist. He got his nurse to do everything, except the diagnosis of course.

I havent really ever got any pain (although in my first few "attacks" i did feel a bit short of breath...but i think that was just panic since ive not got that since), but the funny beats do annoy me and make me nervous about doing any serious exercise. Is it okay for me to do serious exercise? When I got my first (and worst) attacks at 19 my doc told me to cut back on caffeine and do more exercise, and it did seem to help.

Oh yeah, and the 'attacks' always seem worse at night when im in bed. Is that normal?

Old 08-27-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Macka:
When I was 8 or 9 I was told I had a heart murmer. When I was 19 I started to get a irregular heart beat. What is the difference between these two?
An irregular heart beat is just that, a heart that beats irregularly--not in proper rhythm. A murmur is something you hear when you're listening to a patient's chest with a stethoscope, in addition, the murmur is a sound that you don't hear in a normal heart.

Quote:
Should I be worried?
Well, if you're experiencing symptoms like bad chest pain and fainting spells, then you should see someone. But if you're just feeling panicked over the feelings in your chest, then don't worry about it.
Quote:
Is it okay for me to do serious exercise?
Like I said, if you're not experiencing bad symptoms, then yeah, it's fine.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and the 'attacks' always seem worse at night when im in bed. Is that normal?
Yeah...there are a lot of conditions that, for some reason, tend to be more prevalent at night. As to why exactly this happens, I couldn't tell you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #3

gcouncil HB User
Yeah, skipped beats and fluttering can be quite annoying if not down right scary sometimes, but the fact is, your Cardiologist is probably monitoring any change in your murmur and would tell you if you shouldn't be doing things like exercise.

I can make my heart skip if I lay down a certain way or breath in really deeply. So, I don't usually lay that way or breath in really deep, unless of course I am exercising.

Unless you are experiencing any other symptoms, I would try to relax. If you don't feel like your cardiologist is paying proper attention to you, you can always see someone else. Stay informed , but also stay calm.

Closed Thread