It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #1

Teach2003 HB User
Exclamation Symptoms...can this be heart disease?

For the past 3 years, I have been suffering from some recurrent symptoms that have been somewhat of a concern to me. These symptoms seem to be present almost everyday, and just make me feel like going crazy at times. It makes me feel as if I have a serious illness...some of which I feel doctors are failing to diagnose. I have seen all sorts of doctors, and due to my age (29) and profession (Teacher) they simply tell me it's stress and just increase my Paxil dosage and send me home. My symptomes are:
1) Exhausted ALL THE TIME. Even after a good nights rest. So much so that I often just lay in bed to rest.
2) Headaches/ Migraines almost everyday brought on by even the slightest exercise or activity.
3) Out of breath/ Short of breath very easily. Just simply walking up a flight of stairs.
4) Chest pains that radiate to my upper back and neck followed by heart palps.
5) Forgetfulness
6) Occasional anxiety/ panic attacks

Help me!

Old 08-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #2

Carrie830 HB User
TEACH.....
NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOU BUT IVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS YOUR TLKING ABOUT FOR YEARS NOW (IM ONLY 27 AND BEEN HAVING THEM SENCE I WAS ABOUT 19) IVE SEEN LOTS OF DOCTORS, HAD LOTS OF TEST AND THEY ALWAYS TELL ME THE SAME THING......ITS STRESS! IVE HAD THE SKIP BEATS, PAINS IN MY CHEST, LEFT ARM, NECK , JAW, AND IM TIRED ALL THE TIME. I'M STARTING TO LOOK AT IT THIS WAY , IF IT WAS THAT SERIOUS(LIKE A HEART PROBLEM) I WOULDNT OF LASTED THIS LONG WITHOUT TREATMENT, IVE KINDA JUST LEARNED TO DEAL WITH THEM AND THINK ABOUT OTHER THINGS....I TAKE ALOT OF ADVIL TOO AND IT SEEMS TO HELP ALOT. DOESNT MAKE ANY SENCE WHY IM HAVING THESE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive

cutup HB User
Teach,
Your symptoms are a bit worrysome. I was 41 when my heart trouble made itself known. You are young but it does happen to young people. The tiredness could be a symptom. The shortness of breath also is concerning. The pain you describe in the chest and upper back and neck are classic. These types of symptoms slipped up on me and I just thought I was getting out of shape. Has any of your doctors ever done an EKG or nuclear scan of your heart? Questions: Are you a smoker, high blood pressure, diabetes, overweight, do you exercise, is there a family history of heart disease, do you know your lipid levels? All of those things need to be considered when you are having the symptoms that you are having.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Old 08-28-2003, 04:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Teach,

I agree with cutup that your symptoms are something to be concerned about. Some of those symptoms match what I felt. Then again, it could totally different from that. I was 35 when I first experienced angina, and ignored it until I had a MI.

I had even gone to my doctor the day of the MI and he had started to set me up for a stress test the following Monday--only problem was that I went back to work and had my MI that Friday. Because of my age, they were not expecting it to be heart related.

I also tried Paxil months after the MI. I had terrible anxiety over my plight. After a few days of Paxil, I chunked the pills in the garbage and decided I would be better off without them.

As for what I would do in your situation. I would go after putting my mind at ease by asking to have a stress test with imaging. I am relieved each of the last two times I have seen my images which no longer contain dark patches of obvious ischemia.

Sure a stress test is never 100 percent accurate, but its a safer route than inaction.

Good luck

Old 08-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #5

Teach2003 HB User
Cutup and ubernier...to answer some of your questions...I am 29 years old, and I weigh 112 pounds. I have not smoked a day in my life, or done any drugs, or have never been a heavy drinker. I consider myself quite healthy, as I am not one to sit around the house all day either. My chest pains became a discomfort to me about 6 years ago. I was 23 years old then. It started as a pain in the upper left hand corner of my chest, About 2 inches directly down from my shoulder, and 1 inch to the right. So the pain in really only concentrated on the way upper left side of my chest. This throws Dr. off completely as it is not in the center of my chest. This makes them think it might be muscular. However, the pain radiates to my left arm, to the point that it numbs my fingers. It also travels to my upper back. At that moment I also feel very short of breah and just plain tired. Although I feel tired quite often. Even walking a flight of stairs. I also have palps, which doctors have blamed Mitro Valve Prolapse for it. I have been to the ER 3 times due to this problem. Everything has come out fine. I have also had several EKG's and Echos and everything seems fine. I also had a stress test and everything came out fine. My cholestrol levels have been a bit high though. For a 29 year old it's at about 190. My last tyroid check came back a bit high too. Everyone is just quick to diagnose all this to stress. Granted, I am a high school teacher, which is very, very and I repeat very stressful. I often do conclude that I feel my worst at work. Simply because I am so upset and stressed out all the time. The eduaction system here in Florida is no piece of cake. So I don;t know. I am going to attempt to see another doctor, because I really do hate feeling like this. It is very scary! I am just so sick of this terrible pain! What do you think? Does this process sound familiar to anyone?

Old 08-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
Inactive

cutup HB User
Teach I considered myself to be very healthy too. I was not a couch potato and didn't smoke and only occasionally drank, and no drugs. The pain you are describing sounds like what I felt. All of the usual tests for heart blockage never showed a problem. In fact the doctors messed around with me for 6 weeks. When a cardiologist finally did a heart cath and found the blockage he told me that if it had completely blocked I probably would not have survived a heart attack. The shortness of breath, and the tiredness were all things that I felt, but it was such a gradual thing that I just thought I'm getting older and out of shape. I had symptoms for at least 2 years before it got bad enough for me to not ignore it. You are very young to have a heart problem but it does happen. My cholesterol was normal, but my triglycerides were slightly high and I had a low HDL.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Closed Thread