It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 PM   #1

crabbycdn HB User
Post Worsening Dyspnea -- Any Suggestions?

Anybody with suggestions for sleeping with worsening shortness of breath? I use the pillow props to get to sleep but somehow slide off them in the night and wake up coughing and feeling like I am suffocating. Also, it gives me a sore neck so sometimes I throw the pillows onto the floor (or over hubby's face) while I am thrashing around. Have decided not to make anymore midnight runs to ER since they just incarcerate me, hook me up and dope me up. I can spend a sleepless night at home just as easily as I can listening to some doper hallucinating behind the curtain next to me in ER.

Old 08-28-2003, 05:58 PM   #2

luke1 HB User
Crabbycdn,
I used to wake up after 3 or 4 hours sleep breathing very deeply, but not gasping. I thought it might be sleep apnea and I used a voice activated tape recorder hoping to detect any sleep disturbances. The tape recorder revealed nothing. I was going to make an appointment at a sleep clinic to diagnose the possible sleep apnea when I saw a commercial for Breath Right Nasal Strips. In desperation I tired them and every night since then I sleep undisturbed for 7 to 8 hours.
If you are elevating your head use a wedge pillow. I think you can find them at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $20. I think itís best to try to have your air passages in a straight line, if you stack pillows you may be contributing to the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread