It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 09:30 AM   #1

ack HB User
Question alergies/bending over = heart skips? why?

For the last 2-3 years I've had an interesting problem that closely resembles "Msbugg"'s problem a couple threads down. It feels like my heart has either a tiny spasm or a couple really hard beats followed by a pause before resuming normal rhythm. Nothing serious but really annoying as it limits my physical activities. Usually triggered by:
-Bending over, laying down or shifting after a heavy meal
-Before or after Situps 50% of the time
-Jogging on a semi-full stomach
-Swimming

While these sound like a stomach issue heres a curveball:
-When my alergies act up and i get a little wheezy it's easy to set off (cats, fresh cut grass etc)
-Going from cold air ot hot air really fast causes it.
-My pulse actually stops after these spasms for 2 seconds -- not sure if my heart is actually the thing 'skipping' but it sure feels like it.

The weird thing is it comes and goes in segments. Last summer I didn't have the problem once. This year and 2yrs ago its happening 2-4 times a week. Aside from being 10lbs lighter last summer I see no connection.

I have a heart murmur so I usually take something like this seriously. EKGs normal, i'm young and in my early 20s so everyone says it's anxiety which I believed for a while but the fact that I can repeat this problem during specific physical movements and during alergy episodes makes me want to research it a bit more.

Any thoughts on what direction I should be looking in? I couldn't even begin to guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
A lot of those activities that you mention seem to point towards a situation where your intrathoracic pressure is raised through a "valsalva maneuver". The valsalva maneuver is the "straining" you do when, for example, you are lifting something heavy, or straining for a bowel movement etc. etc. It causes the intrathoracic pressure to raise which has the effect of lessening the amount of blood which can return to the right side of the heart from the venous circulation. Your heart might be sensitive to this (or your heart's normal compensation might be present but you notice this kind of thing more than the normal person) and it does it's normal reaction by beating a bit faster or slightly harder which you perceive as it "skipping a beat".

Does that answer your question?

Old 08-31-2003, 07:49 AM   #3

ack HB User
wow good answer. I guess that would explain it well. I'm just wondering why I have it so often even with 'light' bending/movements or lifting and at other times I neve rhave the problem. Is there a way to minimize the the effect?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #4

minomat HB User
Re: alergies/bending over = heart skips? why?

hey ack.. do you have the sensation to cough when you bend over?/

Old 02-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #5

TexasMom73 HB User
Re: alergies/bending over = heart skips? why?

Totally agree with Abbygirl2. I'd like to add that my doc says lots of smaller or rather thin people will feel things & be more aware of their heartbeats then say someone with more meat on their bones, whether it be a natural or unnatural thing. Hope that makes since?

Closed Thread