It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 06:01 PM   #1

yahweh HB User
Post General Anesthesia & abnormal EKG/Thalium Test

Hi, my post below is pretty lengthy. Please be patient and read as I do so many lengthy posts on this forum and I reply. After all, it's only our heart.

I am scheduled to have a nose job and chin liposuction under General Anesthesia. My surgeon told me that I needed to get a medical clearance from my private doctor before he could do the surgery

I went to my private doctor for a medical clearance. So she told me that before she could give me a medical clearance, that I had to get a chest x-ray and an EKG.

Well my chest xray came back fine but my EKG showed some changes. So she told me that she could not give me a medical clearance but that only a Cardiologist could. So she referred me to a Cardiologist.

At the Cardiologist office, I was scheduled for a regular stress test and a Thalium test. The results of the Thalium test said this,"

FINDINGS: The images taken immediately folowing the exercise reveal an essentially unremarkable distribution pattern of the blood flow. The resting images reveal deficit in the lateral segment and more prominent deficit in the anterior segment, the latter possibly secondary to interposing soft tissue.

IMPRESSION: Strong suspicion of past ischemic event in the lateral segment. Suggest follow up

Now when the Cardiologist gave me these results, he said that this test result is inconsistent. So I said what do you mean inconsistent. Well then he says that my exercise test on the tread mill came back fine and the pictures afterwards did not. He says the results were supposed to match. He says if the excercise test comes back normal, then the imaging test of test of the heart is supposes to come back normal too.

So then he says I will order you one more test and if that comes back fine then he will give me the medical clearance that I need. He sent me to have an EKG done. He wanted to order another Thalium test but my insurance would not cover this test again until six months later. So he ordered an EKG for me and alas my EKG came back normal so my Cardiologist gave me a medical clearance.

I am happy that I got my medical clearance to go under general anesthesia but sometimes I still wonder if I will be ok under general anesthesia even though I got my medical clearance especially when sometimes I still feel a little flutter like discomfort on the left side of my breast close to my underarm. I would like to take aspirin as a pre-caution but I am not supposed to take any aspirin or caffeine before the surgery.

Please if anybody has had to have surgery under general anesthesia, please tell me if you had to have a medical clearance first and what tests or procedures did your cardiologist order before he cleared you. And tell me your results as well.

Also please feel free to comment on my experience with my Cardiologist and test results. Thanks a bunch and I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread