It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 04:01 PM   #1

Roxy_Gal HB User
Unhappy Fast Heart Rate but why?

Hi!

I am new to this board.... and I have been having this problem and just hoping someone could help!

I am an almost 16 yr old Female and for the last few months I have noticed(only because I am a health freak checking my pulse all the time)that sometimes I will have a resting heart rate of over 100 bpm. When it is over it's usually 100-120, Rarely 120-130 usually only if I'm really anxious. Most of the time it isn't high and my normal resting rate is usually 80-96. I have NO other symptoms eg like chest pain, palps, fatigue etc.... just this occasional fast heart rate!(Oh and after walking etc I usually check it 10 minutes after resting cause I know that walking etc can Increase your heart rate. I think I am making myself worse by worrying all the time but I can't help it(I should really ban myself from medical sites)

Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this occasional fast heart rate?Also it is Summer where I live now. When it's really hot could that cause the fast hear rate?

Also I am Abit overweight for my height... and I don't eat healthy most of the time and don't exercise regulary,never drink water so I was wondering if that would have anything to do with it?

I don't smoke/do drugs/or anything like that ... other then this I guess I am pretty healthy

if anyone has any suggestions please comment

Thank you

P.S when it is fast I notice that sometimes it can last anywhere from a few minutes to most of the day!IF it is something serious would it be fast all the time?

thanks a bunch

[This message has been edited by Roxy_Gal (edited 08-14-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Honestly roxy-gal, stop checking your pulse. You're suffering from hypervigilance--i.e. you're noticing things that are normal, but you haven't noticed them before so it's making you anxious...when you get anxious (even if you don't think you are), your heart rate will increase. Unless you're having hard chest pains or fainting or something like that, I wouldn't worry. My suggestion is, do not check your pulse at all tomorrow...you'll feel better. Trust me.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #3

Roxy_Gal HB User
Smile

Thanx for the reply

Nawww I have never fainted and I hardly ever get chest pains maybe once in a while an occasional pain that lasts for 1-2 seconds but thats it doesn't even actually hurt, and I read that it's normal once in a while. So ya I know I shouldn't worry but its just become a habbit checking my pulse all the time I will take ur advice! I already started today and I do feel much better!Thanx

If anyone else would like to reply to my post please feel free too

[This message has been edited by Roxy_Gal (edited 08-16-2003).]

Old 08-23-2003, 03:29 PM   #4

poetgirl HB User
Yes, Roxy- Gal I agree stop worrying theres now pain your young lifes to short to worry .I'd suggest a hobby or something that you like to do .Also put your burdens onto the Lord & read {Psalms} in your king james version bible try it .I did and you'll see how calm it will make just reading it. let God help you through your problems .Ok
I'll be praying for you

Old 08-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
(female)

all things HB User
I have had sinus tachycardia (rapid heart beat) since I was 16. I am now 52, and have only just recently finally had it diagnosed. It turns out I was born with an inborn error of metabolism, a genetic and hereditary condition, passed down from my maternal grandmother. Being a little overweight is definately a symptom, and dietary modifications are essential... such as no bread and sugar. Yes, you may be just thinking about it too much, but also be aware that there can be a physical reason as well. Deal with it now. Don't end up suffering for the next 40 years. For me, it only got worse.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #6

rainonwindow HB User
What was your inborn error of metabolism?

Old 08-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
(female)

all things HB User
The test that was performed indicated that I inherited sub-optimal fatty acid metabolism, and impaired carbohydrate metabolism with subsequent energy cycle deficiencies. These genetic syndromes cause everything from fatigue to obesity, to myocardial damge, to neurological degeneration. It is rectified by identifying what the body is short of - in my case it was carnitine, riboflavin, CoQ10, B complexes and many other substances. It happens in people of Northern European heritage (all of my ancestors are from the UK) and an interesting tidbit is that it can happen in people who are descended from a group that may have been in a famine, such as the Irish (potato famine), or Native Americans.

BTW, anyone on cholesterol lowering statins should take CoQ10.

Old 08-30-2003, 04:33 PM   #8

tennis2003 HB User
Hi Veteran,
I am in Florida as well and have recently had a couple of episodes of sinus tacycardia and the preliminary diagnosis for me has been magnesium deficiency. As to why, we don't know yet. I have been athletic all my life, but recently this have reared its head after taking medication for a suspected ear infection and sinus infection. Have they ever recommended surgery for you to correct the electrical wiring in your heart, or is it just the mineral deficiencies? What else did they say about your condition? Thanks

------------------

Old 09-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #9

gillian30 HB User
There is a condition most often seen in young women known as "POTS". This stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It basically means your pulse rate gets too high especially upon standing. However, if it causes you no discomfort such as dizziness or other problems, don't worry about it. It's not life threatening, just life limiting because of its symptoms, and if your comfortable, don't sweat it.

Closed Thread