It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 06:55 PM   #1

Munchie HB User
Question Different personality after heart surgery?

Anyone out there experience a change in your personality after open heart surgery? I'm talking going from a very Type A to a Type B and visa versa?
I've heard after surgery you "can't explain" what that type of surgery does to you...need your help!
Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-30-2003, 06:27 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
Absolutely a change in personality. I don't stress over the little things anymore. I'm not as judgemental. It is hard to explain what it does to you I agree. You just feel very different. I think it comes from having a second chance or third in my case at life.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #3

Munchie HB User
Thanks cutup! I'm still trying to find out HOW things change..I have a father-in-law that has changed. He says he can't explain it. Before surgery he ate a perfect diet, never has been in the hospital, great health, walked everyday, proper weight etc etc. After surgery- got more verbal- shoves food into his mouth and eats very fast. (has had serval choking episodes due to this- still won't listen and slow down. He also gets very touchy and has outbursts calling politicians "crazy SOBs" and the like.
Oh well, just glad we still have him with us! Just trying to find out more about the "change"...
thnaks for everyones input!! Happy Saturday!

Old 08-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Inactive

cutup HB User
Munchie
You are talking about a different type of change than what I realized. If he went through bypass surgery he may have suffered a lack of oxygen to the brain while on the pump causing some slight brain damage. I would definitely mention it to his doctor.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:53 AM   #5

Johnny_Pinto HB User
While the heart-lung bypass machine does result in some slight memory pathway loss, it usually comes back. What I rather suspect you are experiencing from your uncle is depression and anger which is extremely common following coronary by pass surgery or a diagnosis which makes one realize their own mortality. In your uncle's case, the depression and anger comes from "playing by the rules" and still winding up with a CAD. He feels that he did played by the rules but didn't reap the reward promised. "Eat your vegetable. Exercise. Don't smoke. Don't drink. Get eight hours each night." Don't do anything on the don't list and do all things on the do list" and the good tooth fairy will reward you with a long, prosperous, healthy life. He found out that while that all sounds good, it doesn't always work out that way the real world. CAD is an equal opportunity disease.

Your uncle is experiencing "the road not traveled" lament. The road not taken always looks more attractive when you believe that you may have reached the end of the road that you chose to take. It would be the same regardless of the road chosen because one knows the outcome of the road that they chose to take but doesn't know the outcome of the road not chosen.

Old 09-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Hi -

I have heard about the personality change that affects some people after heart surgery. Men, in particular, sometimes get very feisty -- probably because they are angry and recognize that they are not totally in control of their destiny.

It's true that some people must be carefully watched after such surgery to be sure they are not overcome by depression, etc., which can manifest itself as extreme anger and an "I don't care anymore" attitude.

Get your loved one to a doctor, who may well recommend a psychologist and some meds to help smooth things out, at least for awhile. ]

Do this now -- (I know of a man in his late forties with a wife and two young daughters who had bypass surgery, did fine, then less than three weeks later went berserk and tried to kill the kids and himself. He did cut one of the girls, but not badly; however, he succeeded in killing himself right there in the living room.)

This is an extreme case, but weird things happen to people -- best to pay close attention!!! Good for you for showing such concern.

Closed Thread