It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

andrews HB User
Post Thallium Stress Test

I am scheduled for one of these next week. Anyone here have this test done before ? And if you did is there anything in particular I should know like does the dye have any side effects etc. etc. etc. Thanks..

Old 07-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #2

Kandi76 HB User
Hi, I had one of these done last year and I was scared to death before I had it and once it was over I realized that I paniced for nothing. It was very simple and I had no side effects what so ever. I went back to work after I had it done! They just inject you with some dye..which is used so it will show up in the scan they do. There was nothing to it at all. It just took a while to have done because they have you sit and wait like 30 minutes in between doing the scans and then they do a treadmill test. I hope these eases your mind. I am a big chicken when it comes to any kind of procedures...so I know if I can do it anyone can!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 12:14 PM   #3

Gooba HB User
Piece of cake.The only thing you have to be aware of,is if you are allergic to shellfish or Iodine.If you are,you need to tell them.Are they going to do both parts?The resting and the under stress?

Old 07-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #4

1btg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by andrews:
I am scheduled for one of these next week. Anyone here have this test done before ? And if you did is there anything in particular I should know like does the dye have any side effects etc. etc. etc. Thanks..
Thallium is a radioactive drug that emits "GAMMA rays".
After you are injected with that and it mixes with your blood, it gives a "special camera"[radio activity scanner] the abillity to "see" the blood flow to your heart and indicate which part of it gets less oxygenated blood than other parts. That supposely helps the physician to determine if there are some blocked arteries or damage in that area.
But this is not all... along with this they give you a stress test also. If you cannot take the treadmill test, they inject you with different drugs like "dipyridamole" or "adenosine", that make you feel like you was running around a city block for 10 straight hours. Your chest will feel so tight and you'll have difficulty breathing, something like they enbalm you alive. They want to see how your heart reacts under vigorous exersise while they watch the pictures for blood flow. They are all trained and they have the equipment right there to try and save you like defibrillator etc, in case you get a massive heart attack. Most people will come out alive after this test but some unlucky ones they never recover, though they won't worry much about it since dead people have no worries!
The cardiac tests are not perfect and some are unorthodox, some unnecessary and most not safe.
My advice to you, skip that test and take the treadmill one, where at least you know that you can abort it if you feel like your chest is going to explode. Sorry if I scared you but I believe that people should know these things and not rely only on what docs tell them....
PS: Funny how they claim that low doses of radiation, (gamma rays eg), won't harm you but the smoke from someone who smokes 50 feet away from you will kill ya.
Note: After neuclear testing they advice you not to go near small children and infants for 24-48 hours!!!

Old 07-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #5

Gooba HB User
Not all of that is correct.
There is normally 2 parts to this test.They want to contrast the resting heart with the heart under stress.I just had a sestembie stress test 2 weeks ago and a cardiolite last year.My first nuclear stress test was a thallium.The only difference is in the isotope they use.If they are on the ball,they will do it all in a couple of hours at most.They take you in and put an IV in your arm.They injecte the radioactive isoptope into you and then they take you in the back where they have a gamma imaging camera.They will take pictures of your heart for around 20-40 minutes depending on the isotope used.You have to be still for this.After that is done,they will take you and hook you up for a normal treadmill stress test.Depending on what the Dr wants,they may either have you do the exercise or they may do it chemically.If they have you exercise they will take you out to your target heart rate,which is usually 80% of capacity based on your age.Once you reach your target heart rate they will inject the isotope into you and you will exercise for one more minute.after a brief cool down they will unhook you and leave 3 ekg lead pads.You will then go into the same room and they will take the same pictures again.They will have those 3 ekg leads hooked up to help monitor you.That is it in a nutshell.Now,if they choose to use adenosine or to chemically induce the stress,they will ask if you can walk for 4 minutes.It minimizes the side effects of the chemical.You will do a slow walk and the injector will slowly inject the chemical into your IV.You will expeerience a heaviness in some part of your body.I first felt like my legs weighed 20 lbs.this will last a few seconds and it will dissipate.Then you will feel more of your body get heavy and then dissipate.This goes on for the 4 minutes.With one minute to go they will inject the isotope and you will continue for the last minute.Then it is to the camera as the other.As I said,a piece of cake.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:37 PM   #6

1btg HB User
What do you mean the above it's not all true? Are you calling me a liar GOOBA? Or are you heavily sedated during any of the tests you had to not notice any of the effects? The way you describe the test you make it look like it's something enjoyable or at least something you have enjoyed. In that case I wish you many more happy tests..enjoy.

Old 07-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #7

Gooba HB User
Where did that come from? I was just pointing out how it is done.Now,considering that you want to know what is not true,I will gladly oblige you.I am not calling you a liar,I just think the way you presented it is not entirely correct.I do not believe there was an intentional effort to do that.
Your description of how the chemical stress testr affected you was possibly misrepresented.You should have said that is how you reacted and how you felt.You instead chose to state it as something that is going to happen,not that it happened to you.Nest,they do not see the blood flow.They see where the blood has gotten to in the heart muscle.You then chose to remind the person that there is a possiblilty that a massice heart attack could happen.That is true,but,it is no more likely to happen there than it is anywhere else especially if the person is active.As an example,the nuclear stress test I had last year revealed that I had a potential blockage and I then underwent a cath.It was found that my right ramius artery was 95% occluded.I was not symtomatic during my stress test.I did the exercise instead of the chemical.I also did 12 miles on my mountain bike the day before my cath.So,in essence my chances of an MI were low.You make it seem pretty high for anyone.
Your evaluation of the cardiac tests is a misrepresentation.It is true that there is some risk involved on some of the invasive tests,and a small risk with a stress test,but,to put it the way you chose is bad in my opinion.If the person has a potential problem,they have to weigh the risks of the test versus not having the test and the risk of their condition getting worse.
Your statement to skip the test and take the treadmill is bad advice.The risk of a nuclear stress test is in the stress test part.Not the nuclear part.It does not make sense to do the stress part and not the other.If you were referring to the chemical portion,they can stop that in less than 30 seconds.One injection will nullify what you are feeling.it is actually safer doing the chemical one because of that.If you do the exercise and have a problem,yes,you can stop,but,your heart will still be under stress and will not slow down because of the demands your body has for oxygen.As for the 24-48 hours,that is not entirely true either.It is 24 hours and depends on how much fluids you have had to flush it out of your system.
Now,to anwer your question if I was heavily sedated.The answer is NO.I drove 250 miles to get there nad completed the test and drove 250 miles home.I notice the effects and I described what I felt.Do I enjoy the tests?Yes and no.It is not difficult,it does not have any real side effects,it is low risk,it is better than the alternative.To do nothing and wonder,and to feel the way you do without doing anything to help yourself.That is no way to live.I WILL continue to take my yearly tests.They help keep me alive and able to enjoy my family.

Old 07-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
(female)

andrews HB User
I appreciate the responses. I have no problem at all doing the treadmill to the max. I will not have and injections to simulate the heart under stress. I am having this test cause I want to have it. I have no cardio problems at this point. I just want to find out if any plumbing is starting to get plugged up. I'm in the gym 5 days a week. Its just that lately i've been feeling alot of fatigue while under hvy. excercise. I just want to be sure i'm not a ticking time bomb period !! As for 1BTG, i appreciate your response but personaly in the future, you should never mention words like "dead people" and having a possible heart attack etc.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:57 AM   #9

1btg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by andrews:
...As for 1BTG, i appreciate your response but personaly in the future, you should never mention words like "dead people" and having a possible heart attack etc.
Friend, that shouldn't bother you. There's a risk of death everywhere. In Driving, eating, swimming, flying, bicycling, working out, dancing, bathing etc. Also even healthy people happen to colapse from a massive MI. Everyday when we open the door and step outside we'll never know in advance what will happen. I don't turn my back to reallity and refuse to see it and either should you, because even if I close my eyes it will still be there. My point is, that even if we don't know what's in store for us, why help it happen? For example, if I get a MI out of the blue while I'm doing nothing, its one thing, but to have one voluntarily it's another..get it? If not I'm sorry and good luck to you.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:14 AM   #10

checkmate HB User
Gooba gave a pretty good explanation of the process, but thought I would give you the results of Thallium stress test I had several months ago.
At the completion of the stress portion of the test, they had me immediatly sit down while they monitored vitals. Nurse had just told Dr my BP when I started getting "fuzzy". He immediatly told nurse to take it again, and he was in my face asking me what was going on. The next thing I remember was laying on an exam table with two doctors and several nurses around me. He told me my blood pressure had dropped from 215/? to 110/60 in a matter of seconds. When your blood pressure drops that suddenly, you drop along with it. Because I have a history of CAD, several stents, and had been in the hospital the previous three days with unexplained chest pains, he had me sent to another hospital for angiogram, which came back somewhat normal. His only explanation as to why I had problem with the test was that I might have had a reaction to the isotope. I have had no problems since then.
Now the question is as to if I would have the test again. Yes, if it was thought that I needed it. Dr said my reaction was not common, and it may, or may not occur again. One word of warning,,,it is an expensive test to have unless insurance covers most or all of it!

Old 07-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #11

~~NatureLovers~~ HB User
Cant understand the 'attitudes' that some of these people have. I tell ya, they come out of the woodwork lol. Anyway, my mother, 51yo, just underwent this testing, and not a complaint one, and is still in cardiac unit awaiting results of several tests.
Everyone have a great day.

Old 07-13-2003, 07:34 PM   #12

Jim M HB User
This is my PERSONAL opinion... 1btg, you are a JERK!
Anyone can tell you know nothing about what you are talking about and therefore should refrain yourself from offering anymore BAD advice.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:44 AM   #13

1btg HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim M:
This is my PERSONAL opinion... 1btg, you are a JERK!
Anyone can tell you know nothing about what you are talking about and therefore should refrain yourself from offering anymore BAD advice.
[/QUOTE

I am impressed that someone with the intelligence of a tampon string like yourself knows the words refrain and therefore. I bet you picked them up from watching Dexter's laboratory on the cartoon network. Obviously the space that should be occupied by your head, it's instead occupied by a huge pimple filled with pus.
First of all learn this: (if you can because beside the pus there's also feces there), If you don't agree with someone, that don't give you the right to call him/her a jerk or anything else, we use something that is called a dialogue and we express our opinions politely without name calling. By saying what you did, not only showed your -50 IQ, but also left you wide open to counter insults. Little man you must be a terrible disappointment to your parents as you are to me and you must be the type that gets beat up a lot in school...it must suck to be you....

Old 08-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #14

ack HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by 1btg:
Note: After neuclear testing they advice you not to go near small children and infants for 24-48 hours!!!

"Dont use a cell phone"
"Dont stand infront of the microwave"
"Dont have xrays more than X times per year"
"Always use sunscreen"

oh heres some liquid radiation, dont worry its harmless

Old 08-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #15
Inactive

cutup HB User
I've had thallium stress tests to manys times to count. You should be fine. I was never told that I couldn't go near children after having thallium. I will warn you thought that the test does not always show a problem when there is one. I have yet to have the thallium stress test show any cardiac ischemia even though I've had a stent and then bypass for blockage.

------------------
It isn't time that heals all wounds, it's what you do with that time. Dr. Phil

Closed Thread