It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #1

Gingerale123 HB User
Post Heart Palpitations,labetalol and pregnancy

Hi,

I'm 5 months pregnant, have chronic hypertension and my doctor just prescribed Labetalol.
I had a lot of heart palpitations when I was pregnant with my son and now I'm having them again.

They really drive me nuts.

I know that many women have these during pregnancy but I sure don't like the way they feel.

Does anyone know much about this medicine and it's effects on heart palpitations??

Thanks,
Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User
Hi,

I don't know anything about the med but, I sure do sympathise with you about palpitations. I am on my sixth pregnancy and never had them until this time. I guess it could be because I'm 35 this time. I started having them about two weeks into this pregnancy and have had them every day. Sometimes I have only a few other days it's as many as 30. Do you know what kind of palpitations you're having? Mine are PVC's they feel kind of like my heart skips a beat or flutters in my throat. I was also having a feeling like my heart was racing especially after a meal. It seemed like for a while it was always above 100 bpm if I was moving alot. It has now settled down to mostly the 90's. I am just currious you said you had these with your last son? Did they go away after the baby was born? I would hate to think I am stuck with these things forever.

Theresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 07:15 AM   #3

Gingerale123 HB User
Hi Theresa,

I'm sorry you're having to go thru these,too.
They are very annoying.
Anytime I've had them checked out, and yes, I have had them since my son was born, 13 years ago, but not all the time...., they always tell me they are PVC's. I've often wondered if I've got Mitral Valve Prolapse,though. Only because the palpitations didn't completely go away after my son was born.
I'm 36 now.
It also seemed like my palpitations really occurred right before my period, when my progesterone levels were at their highest. So, I think mine have a lot to do with my hormones.

I don't have them everyday, but I go thru spells of having them several times one day and none the next few days.
It's weird.

I did notice that this medicine seems to make me have more, even though it's really suppose to help palpitations and not make them.

I'm just weird I suppose.

How far along are you???
I'm 5 months now and I'm having a baby girl.

Love,
Ginger

Old 09-05-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User
Ginger,

I am 24 weeks and I am having a boy. I have five other children. I have a 19yr son, 16yr son, 15yr daughter, 11yr son, & 2yr daughter. This baby is due the 27th of December. I do not remember having these with my other pregnancies unless I had them and just didn't notice (I don't see how that is possible). I first started having these about two weeks after conception. I thought for sure I had some terrible heart condition and I was going to die and leave my husband and kids. It took me about two more weeks to go to the doc. She put me on a holter monitor and did thyroid, blood sugar, anemia, you name it. After all came back negative I asked her to check my hormone levels. She suggested a pregnancy test and bingo. These things still drive me crazy! The only thing I can think of is after my daughter was born 2yrs ago I had a depo shot. Big mistake My hair got thin, I bleed eratically, and at night I would sweat and feel like my heart was beating out of my chest. My own theory is that shot made my body hyper sensitive to hormones. Before I found out I was having PVC's I had myself scared to death reading all the things that it could be. My nurse practioner at my OB's office wanted me to take paxil because I was so panicked by all this. I filled the prescription but, after reading that they really don't know about the side affects on unborn babies I never took it. I have been trying to think very positive. But, When you go awhile without a PVC and then have a big one you kind of start the what if's again. I'm glad to find someone else who is dealing with this.

Theresa

Old 09-07-2003, 06:25 PM   #5

Gingerale123 HB User
Theresa,

Even though I don't wish these on anyone, I'm glad that we're not alone

Mine have seemed to ease up since I started on the Labetalol.
I think it is suppose to help stuff like that,too, besides taking my bp down.
I also know that high bp can cause them to occur, but whenever mine occur, my bp is not high.

I'm weird, for sure

I'm almost 20 weeks along and am having a girl this time.

LOve,
Ginger

Old 09-08-2003, 02:31 AM   #6
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Hi guys

I can really symapthise with the palpitation misery. I have a new son now 6 weeks old - he is my 3rd baby and my god palpitations blighted the last 4 months of the preg. To start with it was quite subtle maybe 5 minutes at a time - PVC's- like you said flutters in the throat and occasional bangs in the chest.

I did not worry at first - thought well chill it will go. But then by 31 weeks the palps were there 24/7 and got worse with exercise. All the ECG's and holters showed that I was having them all the time and between 6 - 20 per minute, my restin pulse was also high about 105 even at rest. I thought ohmygod my heart is failing. But no they said its normal amd caused by preg. I had an echocardiogrm done and it showed a normal heart etc but apparently the pressure of a baby had somewhat displaced the heart and that was litterally irritating it kinda like someone tickiling your foot and making it twitch. the cardio doc said he hoped it would settle after the birth but could not gaurentee if not I would start onn meds to control it. He also said that once you have hadthis it is likely to go through spells of none and then wham back they come. Lucky for me I had a c-section and withind 4 minutes of the birth you guessed it they stopped - great - as they feel horrible - I have the odd one but maybe only 2 since then on odd days. Good Luck girls!!

Old 09-08-2003, 07:26 AM   #7
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User
Robertson,

Just curious did you have these darn PVC's with your other pregnancies? This is my sixth and I did not have them until this time around. This baby was not planed but, we will love him all the same. I did not have a clue I was pregnant I thought I might be experiencing early menopause. The PVC's started about two weeks after conception and I thought I was dying. If I'm just sitting around my heart rate stays in the high 80's to mid 90's but, if I'm out and about or working it is usually 100 to 110. On occasion it has been in the 120's but, that was after I ate and drank a beverage with cafiene in it with out knowing. I guess I wouldn't even know what my pulse dose except these darn PVC's made me so sensitive to my heart I became paranoid about it. My blood pressure on the other hand is great it is about 110/72. My heart rate had to be just as high with my previous pregnancy because in my pregnancy journal from two years ago my pulse was 95 at 5 1/2 weeks. I am so relieved to find other people who have this. I have not had any chest pain, faintness, or shortness of breath. I feel 100% wonderful except when I have PVC's. My holter monitor at 4 weeks pregnant showed only four in a 24 hour period and a average heart rate of 98 and a resting rate of 58. I do have more now that I'm six months on some days I would guess them to number 30 or more and on most days only 10 to 15. It's just every time I feel that flutter or the wham it knocks me for a loop.

Theresa

Closed Thread