It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Post Women sometimes show heart scars erroneusly?

Has anyone ever heard that some women show heart scarring on a Thalium Stree Test when there is now? I am skeptical of this statement because I already consider this cardio a bit out there. He only knows how to talk to people over 65 and when my hubby went to him he was dumbfounded. I consider him a bad doctor, but everyone else seems to think he's great. I haven't seen it! This cardio said because of womens breast sometimes heart scarring shows up when there is none. I find this absolutely hard to believe. Can anyone convince me otherwise? He is treating my hubby for bradycardia and won't consider a pacemaker even though hubby's heart rate has dropped from normal(77bpm) down to 36bpm and he sometimes faints because of the low drop.
Sorry this is so long. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
KaP

Old 09-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
(female)

KaP HB User
I meant to say 'Stress Test when there is none.'
KaP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Inactive

cutup HB User
Yes, the breasts can get in the way of getting a good view during a nuclear scan. It can also happen if the patient is heavy in the chest area. If you don't feel like your doctor has done a good evaluation seek out a second opinion. Sometimes they do make mistakes. Tests results are only as good as the person who is interpreting them.

Old 09-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

KaP HB User
Cutup, thank you for clarifying that for me. The cardio is not my dr., but hubby's and the only cardio I knew to ask. So he maybe right, well..... He did not look at my nuclear scan, I asked him a hypothetical(sp?) question about someone my age,51 having a scan that showed heart scarring and not having any other symptoms, such as heart blockage, etc. I did have chest pain and left arm pain once, but forgot about it until the heart scan. I do have PVC's and palps, but don't know if that is enough to see a cardiologist about.
KaP

Old 09-08-2003, 04:47 PM   #5
Inactive

cutup HB User
Not to alarm you, but my doctor report read something like- noted left side ischemia thought to be attenuation of the left breast. The way I understand it is that they saw some ischemia but decided it was not blockage. They missed it though because I did have blockage. That is what I meant by the test results are only as good as the person interpreting them.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
(female)

KaP HB User
Oh, well that is different. I am on blood-thinners from a previous bloodclot on the lung in Jan.2003 and my family dr. said he would send me to a cardio if I was nervous about the results and wanted a definitive answer. I guess I should get it checked out just in case, right?

KaP

Old 09-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #7
Inactive

cutup HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by KaP:
I guess I should get it checked out just in case, right?

KaP[/B]
It's not for me to say. I always worry when I post what happened to me it will make someone else feel insecure about their tests, but I feel like people need to know that sometimes they are wrong. If you don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis I would say look into it further. They may tell you that the only test left to do is an angiogram and they may decide that the risk is to great with your history.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
(female)

KaP HB User
Yes, I understand your hesitancy about giving info to someone, but I wanted another opinion anyway and my family dr. did say the only thing left for me was a catherization. With my history a cathe would be a last resort. I can't even get a tooth pulled yet, until my dr. is comfortable with me being off coumadin for 5 days to have it done or it's an emergency. My oxygenation level when I had the blood clot was 95% and that's usually considered good for everyone else, but family dr. always sticks me in the hospital when it gets down to 95% because of the PE I had. Pulmonary dr. said my system was weird. I couldn't agree more! I'll see what family dr. says. I go see him later this week.
Thanks for your insight and prompt response.
KaP

Closed Thread