It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #1

Garm HB User
Post Annoying Heart things

Recently i was told by my doctor that i have panic disorder. So what i have been experiencing may be a by-product of that stupid disorder, and yes, my doctor has told me that weird heart things can happen with it. But i want to know from people who have it. So here goes.

I smoke, i drink, but i stopped smoking "weed" about a month ago. I do no other drugs. I am a little overweight, and as i said before, i have panic disorder. As of late, i have been getting some weird heart palpitations. Or at least i THINK they are heart palpitations. Sometimes it will feel like my heart is about to beat right out of my chest, but when i check pulse, it's just going along at normal rate looking up at me asking "why the hell are you checking me NOW?" Other times it feels like a flop or a big hard beat, and then i get the customary rushes of adrenaline which really throws everything out of perspective. I guess i have been experiencing extreme awareness of my heart for no apparent reason (which is why i am here right now). Not to mention i sprained/strained the intercostal muscles on my ribs AND have mildly severe inflammation of the cartilage connecting my ribs to the sternum.

Pain in the chest with heart palps and panic attacks.

My question is, does anybody else or anyone they know or anyone who they know have this or know anything about it?

I have only been smoking 4 years and not even that heavily. CLOSURE PEOPLE, I NEED CLOSURE!! :P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
Garm, I didn't do any of the things you mentioned and I still occasionally have heart palpatations. It can definitely go along with panic disorder, but can also be caused by overconsumption of caffeine,stress and other things. It doesn't sound like you have anything to be overly concerned about although the feeling does catch your attention right away. Medication to treat the panic disorder might be helpful.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #3

carebear73 HB User
Hi Garm. I too have expeienced the same things. Sometimes when your heart starts beating hard or rapidly it is hard to concentrate on anything else. I had an episode of that about 2 weeks ago. It lasted for 2 days. You just have to stay calm and take deep breaths from your stomach. That is the best way to calm down. I have had anxiety and panic attacks for almost 2 years now. I understand how hard it can be. It's good to be aware.. but if you focus all of your attention on your heart, wondering why it pounding and doing flip flops, it will just make it worse and make it last longer. Try and do something to take your mind off of it. It is extremely hard to do sometimes. When you get the symptoms it is almost becomes like an obsession as to why it is happening. It's all in the way of thinking and reaction. I would like to recommend a book to you. It's called from Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett. It is a great book. I have read it 3 times. It has helped me immensely. Anxiety is usually caused by fears of some sort. It can cause a whole host of physical symptoms. If you are worried, then get checked out by a doctor. I have been to the ER many times and everything turns out fine. Chances are you will be fine too.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #4

carebear73 HB User
I have also had the cartilidge problems as well. It's called chostocondritis. It is very painful. Sometimes it can take a while to heal. In my case, I rested completely for 3 days. Do you still suffer from that? Feels like an elephant sitting on your chest and you can't breathe and it's tight and hurts to even move or lie down. The best thing to do is just rest.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:18 AM   #5

carebear73 HB User
You might want to check out this site.. [url="http://www.stresscenter.com"]www.stresscenter.com[/url] you can take a test as well on the site.

Closed Thread