It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 07:23 PM   #1

joshsmith_99 HB User
Question help please

hi
my family has a history of heart disease. i think coronary artery (sp?) disease, from what i hear form the internet.. i am only a young male, still in my teenage years. my dad had a heart attack a long time ago (but hes fine now) my grandfather, great-grandfather( and im not sure about after that) both died of a heart attack. so if it follows the trend, i will be soon to come.. i was just wondering, is there nothing you can do to help it and lessen your risk of actually having a heart attack?. my dad takes lots of medication for his heart, but what will that help do? maintain his heart status or lessen(eliminate) the chances of having a h/a? also, i heard that eating fruits and vegetables, and basically being a little active doing cardio will NOT realy help you chances, and you will just have to face the music.. is this true?
please help me!

Old 08-31-2003, 08:37 PM   #2

ColeDaddy HB User
Josh, your family history does not have to be a death sentence for you. There are some things you can do to lessen your chance greatly of having Coronary Artery Disease(CAD). The biggest preventable risk factor is smoking. Exercise. A good start is 3 days per week for 40 mins. Learn how to understand food labels. I think you will hear more and more about the dangers of transfats in foods. It is used as a preservative to give food a longer shelf life. Our body does not recognize transfats so it stores it in our arteries. Read the ingredients and if it has partially hydrogenated oils don't eat it. No amount of transfat is healthy. Look at the total fat in the ingredients. If the fats listed do not add up to the total fat the missing fat is most likely transfat.
Genetics is one of the risk factors that you can't get away from, but there are alot that you can control and decrease your chances of having CAD. By the way if your fathers heart attack was before age 55 you need to watch your heart health even closer. Good luck Josh. You are smart to learn about this while you are young.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #3

joshsmith_99 HB User
thanks for your help
i do infact go to the ymca a few hours a week, doing cardio. but i guess my only problem here is the eating right sorta thing... i eat ALOT, although im not fat, 175 pounds to be exact. but i dont as of now, read lables or anything, most of my eating habbits come from a tin. :P.
i dont even realy know how to read the labels.. (i can read, but just dont know much about nutrition)

and by the way, my dad had a heart attack in his late early-mid 30's. it wasnt a big heart attack though, just a small pain in his shoulder that he got checked out after..

Old 09-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Inactive

cutup HB User
No such thing as a minor heart attack josh. 1 out of 3 people will die from their first heart attack. Your father was very lucky that his MI didn't occur in a part of his heart that would cause severe damage.
Learn how to read labels. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #5

joshsmith_99 HB User
hi
thanks for you advice
i will start to read lables, and iam learning how to now..:P
my dad takes 6-8 heart pills a day, if i do the same, when im older, which this prevent (or help prevent) me from having a fatal heart attack at an early age??

Old 09-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Talking

Hi Josh -

Good news that you are concerned about your heart health, given your family history.

My cousin, now age 50, had a similar history. His grandfather died of a heart attack, as did a couple of uncles, and his own father had a heart attack and bypass surgery at around 50-something.

So...my cousin decided to become extra fit -- he is rock-solid, eats well (and enjoys a little red wine, which doesn't hurt!) and exercises all the time. He is in phenomenal shape but it takes work.

He also has an annual physical with emphasis on the cardio system, of course.

You are smart to get started on a healthy routine now. It's worth it to change the course of your life early. Even though medicine is so advanced now that even severe heart conditions can be managed, would you WANT that? Better to begin now on the right path and have a much higher chance of good health for many, many years to come.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #7

wildfire2030 HB User
Here is some information for you(A number of factors have been shown to increase the risk of developing coronary artery disease. They include:
Family history of cardiovascular disease
High levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides
Low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol
Uncontrolled high blood pressure
Smoking
Lack of regular exercise
High-fat diet
Overweight or obesity
Uncontrolled diabetes
Chronic stress or depression)

There is a website you can join that can give you alot of information about (cad)it's free to join,thats where the information above came from,here is the url. [url="http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/reg1.cfm"]http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/reg1.cfm[/url]

Hope this helps you

------------------
Have a healthy day every1 wildfire2030

Old 09-04-2003, 12:50 PM   #8

joshsmith_99 HB User
thank you all for your replies
it looks like im on the right track, in that case.
and "carol thomas", i noticed you said "would you WANT that?" in reply to hte pills. are you saying this as if you yourself wouldnt take them? couse it sounded a little sarcastic
for me, of course i would want it, my dad doesnt seem to complain, and i wouldnt mind swallowing a few pills just to keep my living for a long time
especially for my future job R.C.M.P, i have to stay fit and healthy
thanks

Old 09-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

carol thomas HB User
Re your problem with my question, "would you WANT to take a lot of heart meds?" --

What I asked was, wouldn't you prefer to get and stay healthy NOW and possibly avoid having to take those medications later on? There is nothing wrong with taking pills, and if they save lives, even better.

But preventive care should be of primary concern in hopes of avoiding lots of medications, surgeries, doctoring down the road.

As a 50+ year old person, I can tell you that taking a lot of pills on a daily basis is not fun, but necessary. Had I been more disciplined about diet and exercise (and NOT smoked) in earlier years, I probably would not have so many medical issues now.

That's all I meant. It's great that your father, a heart attack survivor, is doing so well with the medications. All I said was, wouldn't you rather do well without having to go through all that? I was not being sarcastic.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #10
Inactive

cutup HB User
Josh, Carol is right. It's best to do what you need to do to avoid getting into a situation where you have to take pills. There are some really bad side effects to some of that stuff. Taking those pills is not a cure for your father. I'm sure it is to prevent another cardiac episode. I couldn't believe you said that you wouldn't mind taking a few pills. Do you realize the cost of medications? My zocor is over $600.00 for a three month supply. I have insurance which brings the cost down to $100.00. I have another medication that is just as expensive. That's $200.00 every three months and I take three other medications besides those. I take those to hopefully prevent another cardiac episode. I would rather spend that money on something fun. Trust me Josh you really don't want to have to take a few pills if you can avoid it.

------------------
Doctors comments on patient charts:

"The patient refused an autopsy."

"Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year."

Old 09-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #11

joshsmith_99 HB User
so, my best bet, is to continue what im doing now, tryin to stay healthy, and if the doctor tells me i have an option of takeing pills when im older (like, maybe im not completly healthy, if there such a thing) would i take them?
cutup, hehe, i know what your talking about bud, zocor is one of 8 of my dads meds, and 2 people in my house take em, so i know thats alot of money...
but, i just wanna stay as healthy as i can, im going ot be a police officer in the future, and that can be prettty strenious. so im sure that job has some health benfits that can help pay (im from canada by the way, i know what our medicare wont pay for all meds, but ive heard of benifits..)

when i say i dont mind takeing the pills, its not like im just going to slack off, and eat terrible, then take the pills when im older, i will still stay fit now, i just want to stay completly healthy, you know?, regardless of cost. besides, i dont mind physically takeing a few pills, right now i take 6 vitamis a day. (yup, and some of em are pretty big)

Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #12
Inactive

cutup HB User
Talking

Yes Josh, just take care of yourself now. You are exercising and that is great. Just try to make healthier choices when you eat. I'm not saying never eat anything bad for you, but when you can try to cut out some of the fats. Bake and broil instead of frying. Instead of ice cream eat frozen yogurt once in awhile. Little differences like that can make a big difference later on. Later on when you are older and if your doctor feels you need meds(maybe to control lipid levels) then do that if you feel it is right for you at that time.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #13

joshsmith_99 HB User
alright
thanks for your help

Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #14

phja HB User
josh .....everyones advice was great,especially the not smoking. i too have abd family history. but most of all don't let this consume your life...eat healthy, don't smoke, and regular checkups...but ENJOY YOUR YOUTH!

Closed Thread