It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #1

byerssandy HB User
Post Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

I am new to this condition and just got my test results> I am looking for some clarification on how bad off I am so here goes:heart rhythm regular with a 3/6 systolic murmur,Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with outflow obstruction particularly with Valsalva,,heart tones reveal a grade 3 systolic ejection murmur heard in the left sternal border to the base of the neck,severe asymetric left ventrical hypertrophy with an ejection fraction of 75% and systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve with left ventrical outflow tract grandient increasing from 64mm of mercury to 131mm of mercury with Valsalva. Mild to moderate mitral regurgutration and trace tricuspid regurgitation.right sided heart enlargement .

Can some one tell me in lay mans terms what this all means?

Old 09-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #2

NMc HB User
Hi byersandy:
Have you not discussed these results with your cardiologist? It's impossible to say "how bad off you are", but based on some of the information you provided, the layman's interpretation is that you have a very thick heart muscle that doesn't relax well enough between beats to allow very much blood to collect in the ventricle. The ventricle is probably reduced in size. This also impedes how much blood is pumped out with every beat. Essentially, you a have a "stiff" heart that pumps very strongly (based on 75% ejection fraction), but because of reduced cavity size (and obstruction), the volume of blood it pumps to the body isn't enough.
I assume you're taking some type of medication to help "relax" the heart muscle? Has your doctor discussed surgery that would remove the obstruction or reduce muscle thickness? I think it uses alchohol ablation technique, but your doctor would know more about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread