It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
Question My Brother's Chest Pains

Last night, I was at my brother's soccer game. He is a 16-year-old junior and the team captain. The game was pretty tough for them - the opposing team was not that good, but the refs were making some bad calls on us. I could see some of our players getting pushed and tripped, but the refs ignored it. At one point, my brother was making pushing motions so the refs would call it, but they ignored it. He got pushed at least twice that I saw. It made it stressful because it was a close game, and the other team was doing stuff like shoving our players, then when they shoved back, the refs would call it on us! Anyway, it was midway through the second half, and my brother walked off the field. He was holding his chest and sat down on the bench. The game didn't even stop. I saw the coach talking to him, and he gave him some water, and it looked like he was doing ok. He went back in the game a little later. He got pushed AGAIN, and held up his hand. The ref stopped the game, my brother talked to him to tell him he was being pushed, and my brother got a yellow card, not the hoodlum that pushed him! He was fairly protesting this, he is the best player, and that probably made it worse because he was on the bench looking nervous and tense. He has also had this happen a few years ago during a game. I don't know if it was the pushing that did it both times, but he complained of chest pains both times. My mom and I both have mitral valve prolapse. She has sometimes had chest pains, but she doesn't know for sure if they're a result of mvp. She also has had palpitations before. I have had heaviness in my chest and palpitations, but I never had problems until I was an adult. We don't know if my brother has mvp. After he has had these chest pains, he has said he's fine and went back in the game, and didn't have any more trouble all night. Is it possible that even though my brother is still so young, that he can have complications from the mvp (if he does have it)? I've been telling my parents that they need to bring my brother in to have it checked out. They keep saying ok, ok, but I don't think they're concerned. What they are concerned about is his performance as a soccer player. I was not even thinking about the game after he got hurt, but nobody else seemed to even care about it. Am I being a worrier or overly concerned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Well, let's be honest, there is a strong genetic component in your family of MVP, so it wouldn't hurt to have him to go a doctor and have someone listen to his heart (you can often find evidence of a systolic murmur of mitral regurgitation when someone has MVP). The thing is, though, I'm sure your bro has been to the doctor before and has his heart listened to--didn't anyone mention anything about a murmur?

Old 08-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
No Projapoti, his doctors never mentioned a murmer. He has to have a routine physical every year to be in school sports. I had regular exams as well, but mine was never found until I had a EKG done because I was feeling heaviness in my chest. He found irregularity there, then ordered an ultrasound, where the cardiologist found the mvp. This wasn't until I was 20 years old.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:08 PM   #4

joshsmith_99 HB User
this could be due to lots of things, if your family has a history of mvp, ir verry well could be that, but since he is at a young age like you stated, it may not be. im not a doctor, do my diognosis may not be correct, but my friend was diagnosed with something, its not a desiese or anything, but he also had mid chest pains, (a between his nipples and bellybutton) when he was active. the doctor told him this is caused by the curver in his bowels, and how they are naturally curve, and when running and generally being active, in some people, it can lead to pains in the chest, expecially if you havent spent enough time in the bathroom
tell your brother to go to the bathroom and try to get it alll out before his next game:P
good luck

Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM   #5
Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
Thanks for the replies! I think he was in pain because of the push on his chest. At least, that's what he thinks. I had no idea soccer could be this dangerous, lol. I still want him to go into the doctor. Hopefully, he will.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #6

phja HB User
i would get him an echo cardiogram. mvp is more common in women.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #7

parkermom HB User
I TOTALLY agree with him getting an Echocardiogram as soon as possible....I don't want to scare you but have you heard of young athletes collapsing on the basketball court or other sports? Sometimes the outcome is deadly. He needs to get checked out for any sign of an enlarged heart --referred to as "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy". A sports physical is NOT enough. Please encourage your parents to do the right thing and have this done!!

Closed Thread