It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 06:39 AM   #1

bytheshore8 HB User
Post MRA vs. Cardiac Catheteriation

Hi,
I had a stress test and there appears there may be some problem. My cardiologist would like me to have a cardiac catheterization. I have read that 40% of those diagnosed with problems in stress tests end up with no serious problems.
Would a non evasive procedure like an MRA be as reliable as cardiac catheterzation? I am quite scared to go thru this procedure.
BTW I am 41 year old male with no stress job. I ran marathon last year but recently have been experiencing shortness of breath and panic attack like symptoms. No chest pains.
Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:25 AM   #2

~~NatureLovers~~ HB User
My mom , 51, mvp and beginnings of angina as of two years ago. Her symptoms began to increase, doc after doc, said it was nothing major. Last month, we rushed her to local ER as she was having major chest pains ( like in a small circle then radiated ******d) along with arm numbness( this also starting at the shoulder and working its way down her arm slowly), emotional and such real discomfort. She ended up being admitted and kept, during her 7 days there, she had 8 'minor' heart attacks. Doc did Cath, where she had yet another heart attack on the table. The cath showed minor blockage to a 'minor' vein, told that the surgery to repair would be worse than the surgery itself. Her chances were death if operated on. She also was told by many good nurses at this hospital that all her ekg results and symptoms as well as episodes were that of heart attack. Though a few docs ( only HMO docs around ) said no, they werent heart attacks, to go home, and just relax if she were to have any further symptoms, as this was not life threatening.
Longer story shorter,
She decided to get a few extra opinions, she found a very good doc, who suggested an IVFS, its like an internal ultrasound that checks the heart much more thoroughly . She has three major blockages to the main arteries (or veins not sure) to her heart. She is as we speak laying on the OR table have a triple bypass. Docs call this the Silent Death. When she was having the IVFS, she also had the same EKG outputs as before yet they were concerned because she felt no symptoms that time. Thats where the silent death comes in. Little background, her mother, died in her sleep at 65 from massive heart attack..She never had any known heart diseases. The hospital in which my mother is in, adviced her during her intial stress test, that all her children and grandchildren should be checked, as this is very genetic.
Please do whatever your doctor asks , AND THEN SOME.
It could save your life.
Best of Wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread