It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

angeleyez5 HB User
Post Palpitations Question

This weekend I have had some palpitations, worse than they usually are. I've only noticed them one other time, bascially. I was working and it happened for at least five minutes non-stop. It felt as if my heart was skipping beats and jumping up into my chest. After that, it stopped. Then, the next day at work it did it again but for less time. Today, I haven't experienced anymore palpitations, but I have been having chest pain. It's not very painful or anything, but it's there and kind of just feels like little pinches in my heart. Who knows what it could be. It's so annoying and worrysome for me.

Also, I have noticed that recently, after I eat, I am congested and have to cough a few times. This doesn't happen any other time, really. Does this mean anything?

Should I be worried about these palpitations and chest pains?

Sooo annoying.

Thanks.
~Ashley

[This message has been edited by angeleyez5 (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 07:00 AM   #2

rhlomax HB User
Smile

Ashley,
I've been on palpitation meds for about two years now and it is probably not serious, but you should see a doctor. You didn't mention whether you smoke, exercise, drink coffee or caffinated beverages, or your age. These can all have an effect.
Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

angeleyez5 HB User
I don't smoke.

I drink alcohol very seldom, I drink caffienated beverages at least twice a week, I'd say, and I don't drink coffee very often.

I'm 19-years-old.

Thanks!
~Ashley

Old 09-08-2003, 07:35 AM   #4

rhlomax HB User
Smile

Ashley,
It's great that you don't smoke. My palpitations always used to get worse when I smoked an occasional cigar. Finally gave them up altogether. Haven't smoked cigarettes since the 70s.

It sounds like you are in otherwise good health which reduces the likelihood that this is a serious problem. The only way to know for sure is to see a cardiologist. If these symptoms are present for many days in a row, I'd make an appointment. Try to get a consult for a cardiologist. There's been a lot going on with new treatments for palpitations that a general physician may not be up to date on.

Good luck!

Rich

Old 09-09-2003, 08:34 AM   #5

ChandraB HB User
Ashley,
I agree that it would be good for you to see a DR., but i must tell you that 5 years ago, when my oldest was 1 yr. i started having a lot of heart palpitations, then a racing heart, chest pain, weakness, dizziness, etc. After thousands of dollars spent on every heart test and brain test imaginable, i was still stuck with the first diagnosis: Anxiety. i could not beleive that my "nerves" could cause my body to feel that way. I felt ashamed and afraid and like i was going crazy. it kept reoccuring, sometimes i would feel okay, and other horrible. Finally i went through a stress and anxiety program that helps you understand your body symptoms and how to deal with the feelings. i live a much more enjoyable life today. Good luck. ChandraB

Old 09-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

cheer up HB User
Sounds to me like there's not much to worry about except worry itself -- BUT, you may want to see your internist. Cardiologists are just internists who furthered their studies, but in the field of cardiology. A good internist should be able to help you with the basics and can prescribe any medications he/she thinks might help.

You will probably have an EKG, a simple test, and perhaps be offered a Holter Monitor or "event" monitor to wear either for a day or so or a longer period of time, respectively. The event monitor is one on which there's a button to push when you feel the palps. It backtracks several seconds to "catch" these on the machine. Then, after a period of time when you've captured a few episodes, you "phone them in." Results are fax'd to the doctor's office and read by the doc, just like EKG tapes. It's interesting...

Anyhow, pains can come along with palps and are made worse by stress, caffeine, etc. Even if you think you're not nervous about this situation, it is frequently in your subconscious so perhaps getting a professional opinion will make you feel better.

As you say, you're only 19 -- you could also have a thyroid imbalance, which is very common and easily treated.

Just make an appt. with your regular internist and I don't think you'll be sorry. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Inactive

pauline38 HB User
Red face

Ashley, Cheer up. There is nothing to worry about. I am 38 and have had palpitations (pvc's or pac's) for about 15 years now. They are totally benign, however you should of course get some work done to make sure there is no underlying heart defect etc... by either a cardiologist or your internist. If they really bother you, you can take Propranolol or Toprol or one of the other beta blockers. For me, the medication completely stops them until the dose wears off or at the very least lessens them and makes them less noticeable.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #8

heart4321 HB User
Hey Ashley...
I'm 14 and had palpiations 3 times...to make a long story short I went to the doctor and was referred to a cardiologist because I had an irr. heartbeat and a murmur too...just to make sure everything was okay. I might have SVT, and I have a sinus arrhythmia and murmur, but that's it...nothing serious. Go to your doctor and they might refer you to a cardiologist just to be positive that everything's okay, but don't worry much about it.

Closed Thread