It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #1

nikasakki HB User
Post heart skipping

ok i recently for the last cuple of months have had heart skipping a couple of beats, my bp is fine i have had three ekg,s in the last three months all at the hospital blood work done and a physical from my doctor last week plus chest xrays my doctor told me to geta stress test to rule anything major out. now i can jest be relaxing at work or home and all of a sudden i feel my heart flutter i check my pulse and every couple of beats it skips for about 10 minutes then its gone, but this is every day, for a couple of months. about a year ago a had blood work and it did show that my trygliscerides were very high so i was put on gemfibrozil to control it now my cholestorol levels and trys are perfect, so i think that this could all be mental but should i worry even though my doctor seems not to? i am 30 years old not terribly overweight but i do not have a steady exercise plan but i eat well so any advice??

Old 08-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #2

tracey2775 HB User
ive suffered with skipped beats and fluttering for 11 years and it frightens the life out of me everytime. i also get lightheaded when this happens. ive had 5 ecg's which have also come back normal. why not try taking magnesium for your palps? a lot of people on here will agree on how amazing it is for reducing/stopping palps. i take magnesium and cant say enough about it. check with your doctor first if you have an under active thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 09:38 AM   #3

future-ped-doc HB User
Lightbulb

Hi,
I am 17 and I have the same kind of heart beats you guys have been describing and for the past 5 years all the doctors i have had kept telling me it we normal nothing to worry about, so last fall my doc finally sent me to a ped- cardiologist and i was diagnosed with pvc (premature ventricular contractions). I was diagnosed with a holter moniter that i wore for 24 hours. pvc dosnt show up on ekgs unless your heart beats that way durring the test, mine didnt.
Hope this helps,
ashley

Old 08-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #4

Macka HB User
Yeah, i have PVC as well. Luckily (i guess) i was having an 'attack' during the EKG so my general doctor was worried enough to send me to a cardiologist. He did that 24 hr test and said i have PVC which are almost always harmless. Sometimes i will go months with nothing, and sometimes months with an attack every day. It is enough to worry despite what the doctor says.

But to the point, a skipping beat is usually nothing to worry about. Try cutting down on caffeine. That stuff is in coffee the most, but also tea, coke, and i think chocolate.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #5

babs15 HB User
Question

This is for tracey2775, there is magnesium in my vitamin pill. Off hand without looking at the box I don't know how much. What amount are you taking? I do have an underactive thyroid but I didn't know you can't take magnesium. As I said I have been taking it in my multi. Please explain how much you take and why an underactive thyroid should avoid it. Thank you very much

------------------

Old 09-04-2003, 06:38 PM   #6

beboopsie HB User
Hello...I have been having skipped beats as well since my teens (i'm in my 30's now). The doctors didn't see anything wrong and one even told me that it was a female thing. Last week I finally wore the holter monitor for 24hours and feel so much better that I did it. I had an ekg and ultrasound previously which didn't find anything. Now I know that I have extra systolic beats and my doctor has advised me to avoid all caffine and take L-carnetine(an amino acid). I am going to take it for 4 weeks and see what happens. I feel so much better already that someone can see the problem and that its not in my head.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #7

Jen9 HB User
hello, i have been having skipped beats and fluttering(and chest pains) for awhile now. I remember freaking out at first but then thinking it was my imagination. When i was in the hospital in 2001 after having a seizure, my EKG showed that i had suffered a heart attack, but i was only 18! So the doctors as well as my family and i were baffled. A couple months after i got out of the hospital i went to a cardiologist and they did another EKG which again was abnormal,and they still didn't know what the cause was(but they had ruled out a heart attack). They then decided to do an echocardiogram, and a treadmill test(i don't know the real name of it), after i went through all these tests it was determined that i had Mitral Valve Prolapse. My advice to you is to keep telling your doctor about you symptoms, because i know it is irritating when you don't have answers. Good luck!

-If you stand for nothing~you'll fall for anything-

Closed Thread