It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 01:23 AM   #1
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
Post pressure on sternum? mild pain with very deep breaths

I constantly have a feeling of pressure on my sternum (doesn't feel like it's something inside like esophagus or heart, but feels like there is external pressure on my sternum.) It is the upper half of the sternum, so more upper chest than lower. But also sometimes it feels like smack dead in the center of sternum, too. It doesn't feel like it's on either side more, it just feels dead center.

It also hurts a little (more specifically, the feeling of pressure increases, or I just notice it more, if I take deep breaths. I'm not sure which of those it is or if its a combination.)

Really I'm not too worried about it, since I'm relatively young, in good health, not obese, no family history (at all) of heart problems, and have a normal heart rate. But it's something I've mentioned to the doc, and said it was probably inflammation of rib muscle since I was lifting weights regularly. Well this summer I've been bad and have lifted only once or twice (at the beginning) and haven't done much since. And it's been back, and seems like it's very slowly getting worse.

So does anyone have any ideas what could be up??

[This message has been edited by pdrq221 (edited 08-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 07:12 AM   #2

inkdown HB User
I'm having a similar problem right now. It's a dull pain right in the center of my chest right above the top of the stomach, and it hurts only when I take a reaally deep breath. I'm going to the doctor today to see what's up. I also came down w/ pain in my left shoulder, which makes my symptoms similar to Pericarditis, a non-emergency condition that can lead to worse problems. I advise you go see a doctor too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #3

bamagirl4ever2 HB User
Hey,
Not to scare you, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go have this checked out!!!

The same symptoms were happening to my husband about 3 weeks ago. He went to the ER and they told him it was acid reflux and to go see his primary Dr the next morning.

She told him that she wanted him to go for a stress test the next week. He went and then the Cardiologist sent him for and artieryagram (sp?) last Friday and they found 5 blockages.

The reason for the pressure in the sternum area was that the artery was 99% blocked. On Sunday morning, he ended up with a triple bypass surgery. Since the blockages were close enough together they only had to do 3. He is now home and doing great, but has a long way to go.

Please don't fool around with pain of any kind in your chest. It maybe something very simple or coluld be deadly if not found as we have seen today with the death of actor John Ritter.

Take care and please don't let this scare you... I mean this in the best possible way that you need to have anything that is bothering you checked out.

Hope it is nothing...

Keep us posted on what you find out

Closed Thread