It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 06:12 PM   #1

romelaw HB User
Red face just getting diagnosed w/ pvc's-scared

Well, guys I am new here. Just thought I would give my "story" see if any of you can help or support me. I am 47 year old female. Last week I went to the Er b/c I had been having severe back pain, some dizziness, tightness across my chest, and general feeling that something wasn't right. The only reason I went to the ER was b/c a friend of mine said that upper back pain could be sign of heart attack in women. They did an EKG, blood work, ultr sound and mri. All turned out fine. I Except they said that I had PVC about 10 per minute and moderately high blood pressure. Told me to go to the cardiologist. He did a stress test and more blood work. Put me on 50 mg of atenenol. Blood work came out fine. However, there was a problem w/ the stress test. Of course, then nurse can't tell me what it is and I have to wait to hear the news from the doc.

(I have previously been diagnosed w/ MVP and was medicated on atenenol for about 10 years then was told that my MVP no longer met the criteria for MVP and was taken of the meds, I also have anxiety and ADD. I have been on meds for both but presently have been med free for about 6-9 months)

It has been one week and I am starting to feel better. Less tense in the chest, and my blood pressure is coming down. The problem is that I am having trouble w/ sleeping. I was OK for about 4 days and then one night I got a sharp quick pain in my chest. Scared me, stayed up most the night. test was tight, got some sleep if I propped myself up. The next night same thing happened. The pain does not continue, just the tightness in my chest. Then last night, I was sleeping good, But all of a sudden I felt like I was fainting in my sleep. I can't explain it any other way than that. I felt like I was falling or passing out in my sleep. Again, scared me big time. I got up and finally fell back to sleep after two or three hours. Needless to say, I get anxious to go to sleep now. The bags are getting bigger. Can anyone h elp me or have you experienced this.
I am so glad this board is here.
Thanks

------------------
Julia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

cheer up HB User
Hi there --

Welcome to the party!

Sorry to hear of your chest pains and discomfort. I JUST visited my cardio doc today because of various chest and other similar pains, many of them sharp and sounding like what you describe. He told me that what I discussed did NOT sound cardiac in nature.

I, too, suffer anxiety, and though I do not have MVP, I do have a "benign arrythymia" called supraventricular tachycardia or "benign SVT."

Palpitations are occasionally noticeable but since I have been told to calm down and I know they are not harmful, I am fine. I take a small dose of Atenolol daily -- for several years now -- and what it seems to do best is very slightly lower my blood pressure and, best, lowers my heart rate.

It sounds like you've had all the tests you need -- now just waiting for response to your doctor -- no wonder you are having pains and weird feelings during the night! There is really not much worse than waiting to hear from some doctor about test results!

I'll bet you'll be just fine -- and what the tech told you will be easily explained by the doc. This is trite, but try not to worry too much. Let us know what you find out -- and try to have a pleasant evening.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #3

romelaw HB User
Thanks so much for responding. I have been very stressed about this. I also found out that my dog has cancer today. He is going in for surgery tomorrow. I need to quit my job, and just chjll for a long time. But who will pay the bills

Old 09-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #4

khudsonwv HB User
first thing you should do is contact your cardiologist.. i worked for a cardiodiagnostic center for several years and your stress test results should have been called to you the same day and at the latest the next day by noon......a responsible physician would not make you stress out waiting for your stress test results... good luck to you - i hope it all works out

Old 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #5

romelaw HB User
Thanks for letting me know. I will call again tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:16 AM   #6

romelaw HB User
Thumbs up

wanted to let you know that I did not have any incidents with my heart during my sleep last night. Quite a relief. I can't say that I slept too well because I am worried about my dog. I am taking him in for cancer surgery today.
thanks,
Julia

Old 09-23-2003, 10:15 PM   #7

romelaw HB User
Lightbulb

Well I picked up my dog from his cancer surgery tonight. He seemed to be OK except really out of it. Then he started panting really heavy and whining. I called the vet and he agreed to give him some pain medicaiton. I had to pick it up at an all night emergency vet. The people made me wait 40 minutes for the damn pills. They kept telling me that the vet could not dispense them till they had taken care of all the emergencies. After the third time of asking for the pills I started losing it. I started crying and making a scene. (Not good for the bloodpressure) Well I should have done that first b/c they got me my pills and got me out of there. Thought I was some crazy lady! My chest is now tight, I am still upset with them... but the good news is I came home and my dog was feeling better and so he didn't need to take the pills at all. I will know how bad his cancer is on Friday. Prayers and postive thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, All

Closed Thread