It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 PM   #1

84hurley2003 HB User
Post PVC's and Atkins

I am a 40 year old female. I began the Atkins Diet 1 1/2 weeks ago. I weighed 131 pounds, and have lost 6 pounds. I want to loose 6 more. I am still on the Induction. About 4 days into it, I began to have skipped heart beats. They have continued to get worse. Of course the more I think about them the worse they get. I have had PVC's for the past 16 years. There have been several times where they have gotten worse. Normally just a few an hour and runs of them when I am under stress. I have been evaluated several times. I saw a cardiologist 7 years ago when they were very bad, and had the full work up. I was told just benign PVC's. DO think the diet has made them worse again. I have up to 10 per minute. Then when I calm down, they seem to stop. Any suggestions?

Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #2

romelaw HB User
Talking

I have been off and on Atkins too. I just got diagnosed with the PVC's and high blood pressure. The bp runs in the family but not the PVC. I am wondering if Atkins may be the culprit. Would like to findout if anyone else has any knowledge on this possible correlation.

good luck
julia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 05:58 AM   #3
Inactive

gigi777 HB User
auctually my new bout of pvc's started arould the time i began a diet 2 months ago. low carb and more protein. ive lost 20 lbs so far and still feel terrible. thought dieting and exercising would make me feel better maybe there is a connnection.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
Inactive

KTUC HB User
Hi
I have eaten low carb for over 60 years. It is not so much Atkins or not, as it is eating low carb, however you manage it, if you are overweight or diabetic.

My dad was diabetic when I was a kid in the 40's and 50's. The whole family ate fairly low carb due to dad's condition. This was before the modern blood-sugar tracking systems that allow any amount of carbs for diabetics.

I grew up to be a ballet dancer. How did I avoid anorexia and yet stay as slim as ballet dancers need to be? By eating steak and salad. Or chicken and green beans. or salmon and boccoli. (NO thanks on the baked potato or brown rice, or any kind of rice!)

I avoided carbs and stayed slim and healthy. I am indeed grateful that this approach has gained merit in recent years through such people as Dr Atkins. Take a look at any biography of a major ballerina from Anna Pavlova thru Maria Tallchief to Suzanne Farrel, the non-anorexic ballerinas eat lo carb. Even the very minor and non-famous ones such as me.

My dad was a cowboy. He used a lot of cowboy metaphors. He always said, "If you want a horse, steer, or cow to gain weight, what do you do?" the answer is, "Grain 'em". This is shorthand for feed them carbs. If a horse was VERY active, the carbs were NEEDED to prevent weight loss. If the horse was sedentary, grain would just make them fat.

While I can not tell you whether eating Atkins in particular was or was not, helpful for you, I KNOW that eating lo-carb has NEVER hurt anyone and helped many.

Bless your heart
Katie
Perseverance Furthers

[This message has been edited by KTUC (edited 09-25-2003).]

Closed Thread