It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 06:25 AM   #1

Frankles32 HB User
Post High heart rate

My resting heart rate is around 104-110 at rest (sometimes higher), any small amount of activity sends it higher, eg today ran up stairs checked pulse and it was 140. Going to cardiologist tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem? Not sure what to expect tomorrow, my regular Dr did EKG which showed no problems, just fast heart rate.

Old 09-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #2

crabbycdn HB User
You "ran up the stairs"? That in itself is a good indication. Also, your concern may be producing some anxiety, thereby elevating your heart rate. A "true" resting heart rate is taken after 10 minutes of rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #3

gillian30 HB User
I have a condition called "POTS", which stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It basically means when I stand or walk, I have an extremely elevated heart rate. My resting HR can be anywhere from normal up to 110, and much higher when nervous even if I'm lying down. When I stand, my HR increases immeadiately and drastically, going up to the 140s or 150s. See if you notice an increase of more than 15 or 20 beats between sitting and simply standing up. If so, you may have POTS, which can be confirmed by taking a tilt table test (ask your doctor about this.) Are you also dizzy along with the heart rate? Or having pre-fainting spells? There are many symptoms associated w/ POTS...it's fairly rare, and fairly benign, though just another idea to explore. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM   #4

Frankles32 HB User
Gillian, my heart rate does not increase when I stand, just a little exertion. Had stress test, echo and 24hr holter monitor done yesterday. Within 45 sec just walking on treadmeill hr was up to 168, then after test HR wouldn't go down past 130, even 20 mins after. Get my results next wednesday.

Closed Thread