It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran

I Robertson HB User
Unhappy Near Fainting....Please Help

I have recently started experiencing sudden near faint episodes. Basically they started about 6 months ago and they come on really suddenly with no warning. Can happen when I am in bed, sitting, exercising, cooking whatever. It is a very sudden feeling that I am about to loose consiousness combined with this feeling of disorientation and the world seems to spin or move around. All that I can do is quickly kneel on the ground and wait for it to pass - it can last between 5 seconds to 2 minutes. I do not actually loose consiousness, or my hearing, or vision and can talk normally throughout.

I have an inner ear disorder that makes me have sensations of imbalance and unsteadiness but to look at me you can see no problem. I used to have severe dizzy spells with this problem and I wonder if this near faint is related.

I have just had a baby 6 weeks ago and during the preg. suffered form severe persistent PVC palpitations - had a ECG trace - roughly 6 - 20 per minute all day every day. Wore a 24 holter showed the same problem and had an echocardiogram done which was normal. The cardiologist said that the pvc were normal and no cause for concern. He also said that they would not make you feel dizzy????? basically that I was fit and healthy. Well the palpitations have stopped since having the baby actually they stopped the day I had the baby. But the near faint episoed continue.

I asked my doctor who siad that it is caused by a brief drop in my blood pressure - although upon checking my BP is normal.......

Any one else experienced this - if soo what is your diagnsosis? The real reason I am worried is that I feel scared as it happensso suddenly with no warning and I have 3 little kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 08:11 AM   #2

rhlomax HB User
Smile

I can't believe that a doctor told you that PVCs cannot make you dizzy. I've got PACs, which are not as significant as PVCs, and they used to make me light-headed. I'm on medication now which controls the PACs. I usually only felt dizzy during exercise when my heart was jumping around like crazy, so I could sort of predict it. I would just stop exercising for a minute and then continue. I never really felt like the world was spinning or anything, though, so this may have more to do with your ear problems. I've had only one epsiode like that, and it was while I was driving. I was driving in my car, very relaxed, and I got this feeling like I was going to pass out. I almost pulled off the road, but then the feeling passed. Maybe 10 seconds or less. The medication I am on lowers my heart rate, so sometimes I think I'm just not getting enough blood to the old noggin.

My advice: try to get an opinion from a different doctor, specifically a cardiologist.

What part of Scotland are you from? We lived in Brechin, Angus for about three years. It's between Dundee and Aberdeen.

Good luck!
Rich

Old 09-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #3

gillian30 HB User
I have a condition known as "POTS" which stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It can happen to anyone, but is most common among young women, either after a virus, a long period of lying down due to illness,or pregnancy and childbirth. Sounds like you may have developed this after your recent birth experience. Do you notice an increased heart rate during the episodes? And a sudden drop in blood pressure (try carrying a BP monitor in your bag or something, so you take it at a moments notice.) This may be your problem, in which case a low dose beta blocker or a drug called florinef may help. It's not a fatal problem, and in some lucky cases passes on its own.

The Following User Says Thank You to gillian30 For This Useful Post:
Flop (08-07-2011)
Old 09-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #4

khudsonwv HB User
i had similar problem after the birth of my last daughter - i too could sit down or stop the car until the episode stopped - except after nearly two years - i had an episode that i thought was over and blacked out and cracked my head open.. was then afraid to be with the baby alone and would not drive with her in the car.. i was finally diagnosed with PSVT - its SVTs that come on quickly and go quickly with .. heart rate was at 250 and blood pressure drops causing the passing out sensation etc.. try another cardiologist or demand to see a electrophysiologist.. meds can be given or i had surgery (cardiac ablasion).. best of luck

Old 09-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #5

charleighbug HB User
Wink

Like the other guy who has replied i also have POTS.
To sum it up it is a fast heart rate with episodes of dizziness, fatigue, and sometimes fainting. Maybe you should ask your doctor to check you for this if the symptoms presist.

Closed Thread