It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 11:43 AM   #1

bakergirl HB User
Post Heart Murmur

So I go to the doctor's office last night because I have been feeling feverish, achy, sore throat for the past 2 weeks. So while I am there he listens to my heart then asks me if anyone has ever told me I had a heart murmur? I said no. He said not to be alarmed it is very faint but he is sending me to get an echocardiogram just to be safe. My appt isn't until Sept. 30. My doctor also told me that sometimes fevers bring on murmurs. I am hoping that is the case and it isn't something I'll have to deal with all my life.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #2

FailedSun2049 HB User
hey bakergirl,
I just went in for a routine checkup myself, and found out I had a heart murmur. He told me not to worry, but it freaked me out something terrible. I had to go in for an echocardiogram last week. The tech even told me not to be concerned, but Im still very anxious - my next appointment isnt until oct.8th.
Just dont obcess over it. There is nothing you can do about it, and chances are its not serious.

FS2049

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #3

Inthecapital HB User
I too have a heart murmur. I've been aware of it for more than 10 years and it has not been of any concern. I've moved around the country a lot and each new Doctor I've had always says the same to me and that is to not worry about it. If you are going to undergo any form of surgery where you need to be put under then it's important. Make certain to tell the surgeon and the staff that you have the murmur so that they don't get concerned when your heart monitor displays the murmur. They like to be forwarned so they don't panic.

Other than that it is slightly more important for people with heart murmurs to take care of their heart health, proper diet and exercise because even though murmurs are common and present so real concerns they do raise your susceptibility to heart disease a small percentage. If you have high cholesterol, you will want to be serious about bringing it back into the normal range, if you smoke, you really should quit. If you're taking good care of yourself then you can live your entire life just as comfortably as someone who does not have a heart murmur.

Take care.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #4

Mark052000 HB User
Bakergirl,

The same thing happened to me in college! My subsequent EKG and echo were both normal. No other doctor has mentioned anything since.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #5

bakergirl HB User
I went for my echo today. Hopefully I'll have the results in a couple of days. Thanks for your replies.

Closed Thread