It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 05:35 AM   #1
(female)

onnason HB User
Post Pulse Rate Question ..... Again

I'm sorry to post about this again, but I need some reassurance, and I haven't gotten any reassurance from my doctors.

I'm 36 years old and about 60-70 lbs. overweight. I have elevated BP (I'm told this is due to weight and stress) and am on Atenolol and Triamterene for that. My BP readings with the meds are great -- averaging around 110/78. My heart rate/pulse has always been high -- around 90-100 bpm while resting. I thought the Atenolol would have brought this down, but it has not. I know it's not THAT high, but it does concern me that the beta blocker didn't bring it down at all.

When I asked the doctor about this, she said that my pulse hasn't come down because "I'm grossly overweight and out of shape". That DOES sound logical to me, and I can buy that (and I AM working on my weight), but my question is -- does this make sense to any of you?

I've had EKGs and stress-echos which all came back normal. She never mentioned POTS to me (I only first heard about that here). I do get dizzy, but I think it's anxiety related. I've never passed out (and never felt like I was going to).

Thank you so much -- I can't tell you how much this board helps me.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User
Hi,

I am currently pregnant with my sixth child. But, even before I was when ever I checked my blood pressure my pulse rate was always in the 90's. I wore a holter monitor at the beginning of this pregnancy because I felt like my heart beat had gotten faster. It average 98 beats per minute through out the 24hr period. I had a high of 170 after running up and down the stairs after my two year old several times. My low was 53 beats per minute while sleeping. Are you sure your checking your resting rate correctly? To find it you must take your pulse when you wake up before you even get out of bed. Any time you are up walking around, eating, even thinking raises your pulse. I also don't think blood pressure meds lower everyones pulse. My husband started on meds a little over three months ago and even though his pressure is now good his heart rate has not droped.

Theresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread