It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2003, 06:25 AM   #1

Ravin01 HB User
Unhappy Heart Problem?

Hi,

I'm a 35 year old male. I've been experiencing dizziness, some palpitations, back pain, and a regular pain that comes to me every day under my left shoulder blade nearer to the left ribs and also in the middle of my back. This started around 4 months ago - I tried to ignore it putting it down to bad posture (I work on a computer most of the time). Well one day with this pain I stated getting very dizzy/unsteady and saw the Doc. He seemed to think it was stress - but to be sure did an EKG and blood test. All came out normal except my cholesterol was borderline. He asked me to take care of my diet because of my heritage (both father and brother have had a heart bypass). I made diet changes and took up regular exercise. I came back to the Docs (after two months) as I was getting palpitations and the pains- he put me onto Propranolol (beat blocker) which seemed to help a little but the pain never went. I find the pain eases around 4pm and not noticeable in the evenings. By morining it's there like clockwork. I do also get slightly breathless. I do regular exercise now and do not usually get any pains whilst doing them. My doctors baffled - but I really do feel down at times - especially with this constant pain and not having a diagnosis. What could this be? I appreciate all your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #2

Johnny_Pinto HB User
Was the EKG a resting EKG or a stress test? Is the doctor a cardiologist or a primary care physician?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 02:47 AM   #3

Ravin01 HB User
It was a rested EKG by a Physician.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:52 PM   #4

Johnny_Pinto HB User
Because of your family history (father and brother with CAD) and to put your mind at ease regarding whether this is heart disease go see a cardiologist.

Old 09-29-2003, 03:53 AM   #5

Ravin01 HB User
Thanks for the advise - I will speak to my doctor to get a referal to a cardio. One question - people with heart problems/blockages - why would your back hurt?

Old 09-29-2003, 06:02 AM   #6
Inactive

cutup HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Ravin01:
One question - people with heart problems/blockages - why would your back hurt?
I guess its the lack of oxygen to that very powerful muscle(heart). It's amazing how the pain can refer to the arms, neck and jaw even.
It causes a lot of pain in the upper back between the shoulder blades. Also below the shoulder blades in the center part of the back. I remember telling the doctor it feels like the pain goes clear through to my back. The back part of the left shoulder was an area too with a lot of pain.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:42 AM   #7

Ravin01 HB User
Thanks CUTUP,

Yesterday - I went to the doctors as again - I did not feel good - pains in the back and side, heavy dizzy head and some pressure on the chest. They sent me for an x-ray which I did - and should have the results in a week. They said if this turns out to be clear they will then refer me to a cardio. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2003, 07:52 AM   #8

Carrie830 HB User
Yea I agree with everyone else about going to see a cardio. just to be safe! I'm only 27 years old and I have had the same things your having only without the dizziness! I've had skip beats and pains in my upper back, chest, arm, jaw, neck, you name it I had it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif I went to a few different doctor's about it when i was only 19 and they couldnt find anything (ive been having these things for years) and even went to see a cardio myself and had everything from an ekg to a treadmill test and still came up with nothing so then they of coarse start blaming it on Panic! Anyway try not to worry about it too much, If i was you, and that x-ray comes back ok I would still ask to go see one just so you can have peace of mind! I know what its like to worry somethings wrong with your heart! I remember you said you get those pains in the ealry hours see I get mine in the evening hours, I'll be fine all day and then Boom like clock work Well take care and let me no if you wanna chat

Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #9

parkermom HB User
Question

I've read all posts and found no mention of you having an Echocardiogram. Please see a Cardiologist and have this done! An Echocardiogram is vital. It is an ultrasound of the heart functioning. It can give your cardiologist many answers. Please have one done!!!

Old 11-19-2003, 05:53 AM   #10

Ravin01 HB User
Hi all,

Just thought i'd let you know I have had my X-ray back which has come out clear. Since the last posting - i have been back to the Docs - to enquire about a referal. Well it so happens, I've been refered to Reumatology?! - it just takes so long through our NHS systems here in the UK to make appointments/referals and I was surprised hes sent me there. Do you think I should go back to him to also consider a cardio? I do see his point that a clear ECG, X-ray and blood work may think this pain is something else. Since my last post - it's been much the same - waking up with consistent pains under sholder blade and back - but now it seems to effect my rib cage - I feel more pains in other part especially when I move my shoulders down or bend side to side where the pains generally in my upper back. Theres like a straining pain on the left side of my neck and also the back of the neck when I look up. I'm still keeping up with excercises and controlling the diet but do feel occasionally tired and just need to crash out for a while. I still have the heavy feeling in the chest though which comes and goes. This has now been going on close to 7 months - i'm at my wits end ..

What would you suggest?

Thanking you all.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:06 AM   #11
(male)

Soodle HB User
Thumbs up Just to be safe

The doc's most likely right when he says it's not likely to be your heart - especially since you say the discomfort doesn't happen during exercise and that the pain hurts when you move (sounds more like a muscular or a skeletal problem than angina).

If you're really worried then insist on being sent for an Echo (This can be got on the NHS within a few weeks if the doc orders it from your local hospital.) The problem otherwise is that your anxiety of a possible heart condition may lead to other problems.

The NHS is a wonderful thing, but you have to be forcefull and demand that the doc gets off his behind and orders the tests.

All the best.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:48 AM   #12

Ravin01 HB User
Re: Heart Problem?

Hi All,

I've been to my doctor again as I felt like getting skipped beat feelings and felt I was going to pass out - you know the type you get when you go fast over a hill in the car. I've had this occasionally before but this happened through the whole day - this scared me to go see him. I did suggest he send me for an echo - but he still insists I wait for my appointment with Rheumatology on 29th Dec - he still does not think this could be heart related and he did admit he was baffled. It's a long time to go - I still don't feel great - head feels very foggy/dizzy, the usual pains on the left and mainly under the left shoulder blade and up my back (even when I don't move). I've also felt some discomfort in the back of my neck that seems to be a bit swollen and I hear a kind of scraping sound when I move my head left to right. Is this in any way making me dizzy?! Some days I really feel ill and need to lie down, i've been impressed by Projapoti postings and would really appreciate any responses if his reading this too.

Thank you all so much for your kind advise.

Old 11-28-2003, 12:06 PM   #13

retired01 HB User
Re: Heart Problem?

My family doc. indicated to me that having pain between the shoulder blades was not uncommon for angina sufferers. Everyone is different. My pain was really not pain at all. IN fact, the only way I could describe it to the doctor was that I had some discomfort in the middle of my chest area on a couple of occasions. After examining me, my cardiologist said he was quite confident that there was not a problem with my heart but suggested that it would be a good idea to have a stress ehco cardiogram. He was very surprised at the results as they showed an area of the heart was not getting sufficient blood. The next step was cardiac cath and that showed a blocked artery. I can appreciate the worry that you are experiencing as I was very down until I finally found out the whole picture. As the above poster suggested, your best bet is to see a cardiologist and see what testing he/she recommends. My family history is very similar to yours and in fact it was the main reason that my family doc. referred me to cardio.
I also think there is a strong possibility that your pain may be work related as you say it eases up at the end of the day and returns the following morning.

Closed Thread