It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 05:27 AM   #1
Inactive

Gary777 HB User
Post skipped beats, should I just stop worrying?

Hi!
I acquired Hypothyroidism about 3 years ago. Ever since then my heart has skipped occassionally -- actually more like pauses(a few times per month I suppose), and tends to run on the fast side, 80's to 90's. Not sure if it's related to my thyroid problem or not.

I've had an echocardiogram stress test (treadmill) 3 years ago, that turned out okay, I've had a few EKG's done, and nothing showed either, also many blood tests.

My last "heart skip" was yesterday while I was walking up a hill. This started my concern once again.

Can't help but wonder if something was missed, or if something was undetectable 3 years ago.

Should I stop worrying? Or should I have a new round of tests done? My current doctor told me occassion skips and pauses are normal, but if other symptoms occurs to make an appt.

[This message has been edited by Gary777 (edited 09-25-2003).]

Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 AM   #2
Inactive

gigi777 HB User
i don't think you need to worry. thats very few skipped beats. i have them all day sometimes and was checked out and told not to worry. hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Inactive

Gary777 HB User
I feel better already!

Really? You have them all day? And the doc said nothing to worry about? Having them all day would really bug me. SO, what's the doctors explanation?? Why is this happening all day? Have you just come to accept it or do you suspect something is still wrong?

Old 09-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #4

Joe210 HB User
I get them at least twice a day. Sometimes more or less. Can someone explain a skipped beat to me though? I am not positive that is what I have but here is what it feels like to me.

Usally I am just walking or something and it feels like something in my chest "drops" and I jump and feel weird for a couple seconds/minutes. Today I got a stress test and when I was done later on I got two skipped beats. The first one happened when I was laying down... it brought me up fast. The second was when I was sitting... I leaned forward and felt the "drop" and it got a hot/warm feeling and I felt weird or sickish for a second. Sometimes I wonder if it is a skipped beat or chest spasm. Since sometimes it is worse when I move a cetian way. I hope it isn't a spasm... but my muscles and joints hurt/twitch alot lately.

I worry that they might mess up something but since my doc told me they are normal I try not to think about it. They are annoying though... they make you stop and go "another skipped beat!" ugh. I do wonder sometimes but I guess that's normal since they feel so weird. I heard sometimes acid reflux can make your heart skip and I have alot of growling/buring/sick feelings in my chest so that might increase mine. I hape it isn't something else.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary777:
Hi!
I acquired Hypothyroidism about 3 years ago. Ever since then my heart has skipped occassionally -- actually more like pauses(a few times per month I suppose), and tends to run on the fast side, 80's to 90's. Not sure if it's related to my thyroid problem or not.
I use to have them every month or less but they have gotten worse. I don't think it is anything to worry about... my pulse stays near/around 100 all the time unless I am resting well or sleeping.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
Inactive

gigi777 HB User
yes thats what they feel like i have bouts of them for weeks to months at a time then they leave for awhile. i had echo and stress test and all came back normal. they are suppose to be NOT serious but they sure feel serious! but ive had them off and on for over 10 years and im still alive & kicking
take care

Old 09-26-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
I also get "skips" almost daily. Some days I get a lot within a few hours, that's when I get a little worried, otherwise I just ignore them. I get them for so many years now so when I feel that "thump" for a moment a just ignore it. I never knew what that "thump" feeling was but about a year ago when I had a lot of them within an hour I actually sat down with my finger on my pulse and waited and sure enough when the next "thump" came it felt like a pause. That's how I know I'm having skips. I had all the tests, also an Exercise Stress Test. During that test I had skips which showed on the test. My heart is healthy and I was told my skips and atrial flutters are benign.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:10 PM   #7

Carrie830 HB User
I too suffer from those skip beats....when they first started about nine years ago I was only 18 , i use to have tons of them about 100 a day, i couldnt leave the house i was so freaked out about them but now im 27 and i only have one every now and then! The doctor says to ignore them (lol) yeah right i can't igonre mine http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 10-04-2003, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

donsabi HB Userdonsabi HB User
Gary777
You say you have hypothyroidism. Are you taking Synthroid for the thyroid problem?

I also have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. Lately I have been reducing my dosage and find that I have less ‘skipped’ beats and palpitations.

If you haven’t had your thyroid blood profiles checked recently you may want to do that.

Don

Old 10-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
Inactive

Gary777 HB User
Don,
I take Armour thyroid hormone. (It's from a pig, not synthetic)

I have my blood check every 3 months, and it's always good.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally posted by donsabi:
Gary777
You say you have hypothyroidism. Are you taking Synthroid for the thyroid problem?

I also have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. Lately I have been reducing my dosage and find that I have less ‘skipped’ beats and palpitations.

If you haven’t had your thyroid blood profiles checked recently you may want to do that.

Don

Old 10-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #10

parkermom HB User
You said 3 years ago you had an echo and stress test? I think it's time to get another echo...just to be on the safe side. Also, skipped beats are usually referred to as PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) which originate from your heart's ventricles. Usually they are something not to worry about (I KNOW that it is easier to say it even though when they happen..I get them also every day....it's scary). There are many underlying causes for these. IN my case, I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which means my ventricles are enlarged....Get another thyroid function test also! take care

Closed Thread