It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 01:04 AM   #1

cindeerella29 HB User
Post i think i had a heart attack

i was woken up from sleep with extreme chest pains, i was going to call 911, but didnt want to believe it could be my heart. when i sat up, this pain in my heart, which i could pinpoint, hurt even worse, i stood up and almost fell back down, my heart was pounding, HARD, and i felt my face go numb. I went to the ER and they did a EKG, which came back abnormal t waves, arrythmia, abnormal EKG, I had never had a abnormal EKG in my life! Well my BP when I first arrived was 170/92 pulse was 109. I waited 4 hours for them to do some blood tests and they came back and said I had pluresy, the only blood tests they did was a d-dimer test, no cardiac tests. So my question is do you think I have had a heart attack? Because its been 8 days now, and I still have this crushing feeling in the center of my chest, then I get these pains in the middle of my upper arm, which make my fingers go numb. I don't think it's anxiety or panic attacks, this was something different, i still have these terrible pains in my shoulder and arm.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
I think you need to get your self checked out somewhere else friend. You may not have had a heart attack yet but you could have a serious blockage. I don't understand why they didn't check your cardiac enzymes. Are you to follow up with a cardiologist or PCP? Something is not right here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #3

NMc HB User
Hi Cind:
Some reassurance first - it's very unlikely you suffered (or are continuing to suffer) a heart attack. First, the pain associated with an MI is usually not localized to a single spot (as you've noted), but is more radiating. Second, the T-wave abnormality noted on your ekg is often found when one hyperventilates. Fluid around the lungs makes it painful to breathe normally, so people will take more frequent and shallow breaths. Third, the crushing pain you're experiencing is more likely the result of fluid around your lungs and not an MI - if it were an MI, the blood work and ekg in the ER would have detected it. I hope this eases your concerns.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #4

cindeerella29 HB User
The only blood work the ER did was a d-dimer, and a basic panel which included stuff like glucose, RDW, WBC, and the RDW was the only thing high, aside from my glucose which was a bit high (borderline diabetic). I am trying to see any doctor, but I have no insurance, and there is no free medical that I am aware of. But I really do think something is wrong with me. I mean, I have had high BP for close to 2 months now, and my cholesterol is probably still high, and I have borderline diabetes. I am praying that it is not a blockage, I don't think it was hyperventilation, if it was, then the hyperventilation woke me up out of my sleep with very bad pains. I dunno, I need to get it checked out but I just wanted to post to ask some questions as to what ppl think it could be, and what I could ask a doctor to check up on.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #5

NMc HB User
Hi again Cind:
The high blood pressure, diabetes (even if borderline) and cholesterol issues certainly would put you in the high risk category for coronary artery disease. The chest pain, which you describe as being constant and specific to a particular location, does not sound typical for a heart attack. But heck, everyone is different. Given your medical history, I'm surprised the ER staff did not check cardiac enzymes to rule out MI - your blood pressure alone should have prompted such tests. Clearly, making an appointment with a doctor and having the full spectrum of tests run is the obvious answer, but since this is not an option for you, you should consider returning to the ER and making it clear that you are having chest pains. Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #6

cindeerella29 HB User
Yes i am still having these pains, I have also been having pains in my upper back, I am only 23 could it be that I have had a heart attack? What types of tests do they do to figure this out? Because when I went to the ER I had arrythimia, abnormal T waves, an abnormal EKG, I have NEVER had a abnormal EKG before this one. I don't think it was hyperventilation though, I am still having these pains in my left upper arm, i can't pinpoint the place where it hurts, my arm and shoulder just hurt, like a heavy numbing pain is the best way I can describe it. And every day at least once a day I get this sharp pain somewhere in my chest, I can tell it's coming from somewhere in the middle of my chest and other times, in the upper left collar bone, somewhere in there. And when I do get this pain in my chest I start to sweat and get hottt. I can be walking around in a store and get this pain. It's terrible, and I have no medical insurance, and the ER's around here suck, they just don't listen, I know there is something wrong, heart related or not, but something is causing this pain. Could I just tell the ER to do a test to rule out wether or not I have had a heart attack, or if I have blockage? Would they actually do the test or tell me no?

Old 09-30-2003, 02:15 PM   #7

tracey2775 HB User
Hi Cindeerella, i was just like to say that my friend who lives across the road from me was rushed to hospital one night with the most extreme chest pains and palps. She was in hospital for a night and all tests were done. The result was plurisy.(sorry cant spell it).

------------------
tracey

Old 09-30-2003, 05:45 PM   #8

vampslayer HB User
I have had pleurisy before and it is very painful. It is more like a bronchitis, but effects the smaller tubes and masks a heart attack. Did they give you an inhaler and antibiodics? I would follow up with a family dr.
Pleurisy: An inflammation of the visceral and parietal pleurae that line the inside of the thoracic cage and envelop the lungs, pleurisy usually begins suddenly.
Cause: Pleurisy develops as a complication of pneumonia, tuberculosis, viruses, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, uremia, cancer, pulmonary infarction, or chest trauma.

Symptoms:

Sharp, stabbing pain that increases with respiration may be so severe that it limits movement on the affected side during breathing

Dyspnea

Auscultation reveals a characteristic pleural friction rub - a coarse, creaky sound heard during late inspiration and early expiration, directly over the area of pleural inflammation

Treatment:

Treatment usually symptomatic

Anti inflammatory agents

Analgesics

Bed rest

Severe pain may require intercostal nerve block.

Pleurisy with pleural effusion calls for therapeutic and diagnostic thoracentesis

Old 10-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #9
(male)

jonee0 HB User
Your pain might be caused by carditis, either peri or myo, one is inflammation of the heart muscle and the other is imflammation of the lining around the heart, when one contracts one, or both, which occured with me about 20 years ago, it can be painful in a similar way (and possibly life threatening). carditis usually follows severe flulike illness. but actually, it sounds like pleurisy to me also.....

Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 PM   #10

remoc HB User
I agree with nmc if you would have had a heart attack it would have shown on the ekg.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:26 PM   #11

cindeerella29 HB User
Well the ER doc did not discuss my EKG with me, it said abnormal EKG, abrnormal T waves, aarythmia, I have never had this before and I was not panicing, because by the time they did the EKG the symptoms didnt fully disappear pretty much while I was there, I just felt dizzy and out of it. When I arrived to the ER my BP was HIGH. When I was lying down in bed my BP dropped to 132/38, then it was 106/42, which is not my norm, then it was 110/32. My norm has been around 160/86 somewhere around there, it has been like that for the past 3 months, before that the normal was 106/68-70. When you do have a heart attack, does the symptoms such as pressure in the chest, dizziness, neck upper back jaw pain, left arm heavy and somewhat numb but hurts, nausea, last even after you have had the attak? If no dr finds that you have had a heart attack, then does the symptoms persist I guess is my question. My lungs dont hurt at all ne more, and chest doesnt hurt, it feels as if someone is pressing on my chest.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:16 PM   #12

cindeerella29 HB User
I am also wondering about peri or myo carditis, isn't both of these conditions caused by a heart attack? Because I have also been having leg/ankle swelling, which I dunno if it's normal or not, but I can actually press into my ankles and an indentation will still be there for a min or so. What types of tests could they do to tell if it is myo carditis, or peri carditis? The ER doc did say I had either plureisy, or bronchitis, and gave me a paper on both. The doc did NOT give me ne meds, he said because there isnt a pneumonia infection present. But wouldnt he have to do a blood test to tell if I did have pneumonia? The reason why I am sooooo worried about this is because my friend just passed away from myocardioapathy, and he seemed to have the same symptoms I have been having, somewhat. Also I am worried because what if he gave the infection to me and now it's working it's way at my heart????????

Closed Thread