It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 01:05 AM   #1

spirlhelix HB User
Post Can't use Betas--What else can slow heart rate?

Hi!

I found out a couple of years ago that I'm one of the people who can't take beta blockers. I'm making plans to jump off a bridge or overdose within hours of taking them, and this is not usually me. B- blockers are contraindicated for someone like me, according to the package insert and my doctors.

Now I find out I need to get my heart rate slowed down. The ECG shows it is beating too fast, and not hard enough. I have symptoms of a dry cough, shortness of breath, insomnia, and fatigue. I also have a kidney disorder and I'm seen by a nephrologist.

If they want to slow my heart rate, what meds can they use, apart from B blockers? Just wondering.

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #2

remoc HB User
Hello, Try taking 400 mgs of magnesium a day it will stabilize the heart muscle causing it to slow down. i buy my magnesium from wal mart in a green, yellow and white bottle it works wonders trust me....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 05:27 PM   #3

spirlhelix HB User
Thanks for the response. I am already taking magnesium with calcium and zinc. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Old 10-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #4

khudsonwv HB User
i could not take them either - my rates were as high as 250.. but the meds made me soooo sick.. your cardiologist may want to refer you to a electrophysiologist who can do an ablation - they will find the electrical impulses causing your heart to go to fast and they will burn that area so that it cant process those signals..... best of luck to you - i hpe it all goes well

Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #5

spirlhelix HB User
Hi, khudson

Thanks for explaining that possibility to me. I have seen a few of your other posts about ablation. It's good to know there are options for those of us who can't tolerate or benefit from the meds.

I wonder why they suggested an ablation for you, instead of a pacemaker? Can you tell me how they are used differently?

Hugs,

Pam

Closed Thread