It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Question Thallium stress test? Is there side effects?

My physician has ordered a Thallium Stress Test. I am having palpations on exertion plus dizziness. I have a long history in my family of heart disease. My father died at 42 years old. My father came from a large family of 11 children, nine of them died of heart attacks or heart related problems. I need to get this test but I feel very aprehensive. I will be 65 years old. If you would be so kind to offer any information regarding this test I would be very appreciative. The test will be to determine how my heart works during exercise. I know this sounds like I am a sissy, and I apologize for that sincerely. Again thank you! Blessings!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 07:18 AM   #2

Pcan HB User
I too was nervous before my test but in the end it was nothing with no side effects. They told me to give it my all...after all if something were to happen I was in the best place to be surrounded by doctors!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 08:05 AM   #3
Inactive

KTUC HB User
Not to worry. This test will really help your doctor decide what to do next. It is minimally invasive, an IV line.The thallium is conseidered harmless and very low risk.

There is good information on Heart center online on this test. Google "Nuclear stress test". I am not sure it is ok to give addresses in this forum.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #4
Inactive

cutup HB User
wildflowers with your family history it sounds like it's very important that you have this test done. I've probably had 10 done in a 2 year period and never any adverse effects.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #5

gizmojones HB User
The test is a good tool to determine if you have any blockages. I've had it and didn't experience any ill effects. I wish you well on the test.

MJ

Old 10-07-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
(female)

wildflowers HB User
I want to thank you for your words of encouragement and information. It has meant alot to me. I have really been good about taking tests and following the doctors orders but....somehow I was feeling different this time, and I didn't understand where it was coming from. I don't know if it had to do with the death of my dad or family members, or just afraid I may find out something I have dreaded for years. I want to know if there is something in my history that may have me traveling down the same road. I did read more about the test and thank you for that info. I also have mitral valve prolapse and pvc's and pac's and from what I understand that comes from alot of anxiety in one's life. I think life in general is alot of anxiety. Life and anxiety go hand in hand. It's when fear comes into play that things start to create havoc in the situation. Again thank you for your posts it has been deeply appreciatd. Blessings! p.s. I did cancel the test but I now have rescheduled it in a couple of weeks

Closed Thread