It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 12:04 AM   #1

Donna44 HB User
Question right side chest pain

Hello, I have went thru all the posts in the heart section and havent found anything related to what my husband has been experiencing. He broke his back 6 years ago and has since developed diabetes, High B/P, arthritis, high cholesterol and depression. He is 47,282 lbs.(but doesnt look it). He has to live a very sedentary lifestyle due to the back pain (he is on 50mg Methadone 2x day for pain). About 6 mo. ago he started to have mild chest pain in the center of his chest. Our FP prescribed Pepcid. About 2 months ago the pain started to get so bad he would cry and beat on his chest. We went to the ER (they gave him a total of 4 Nitroglycerin tablets before it would stop)and all tests came back fine (EKG, ECG, Enzyme,Sinus, ETC.). They went ahead and kept him for 23 hour observation and a stress test. The stress test came back fine too. Back to the FP, he ordered a test of the esophagus to see if he had a hernia. It came back fine. Next test was a nuclear gall bladder test, that was fine too. Finally he referred him to a cardiologist who ordered an echocardiogram, that was fine too. 2 weeks ago they finally did a heart cath. Now this is the really strange part. During the cath., the Dr. said he found a 98% blocked artery on LAD but he had to back out fast because his blodd pressure rose to high (my husband was NOT awake during this). The next day they put in a stent and said he would be fine. Now for the last 4 days the pain has come back and lasting longer and only Nitro will ease it. We think the Dr. either did not put a stent in or totally missed the problem. These are his symptoms:
Pain starts out slow in the middle of his chest, within 2 minutes it's excruciating over to his Right side and down the right arm. His face turns red then pale then hurts, when it starts to ease up he has a MASSIVE headache and completely worn out. Even though he is on meds for BP, I can take it during an episode in his LEFT arm and it be 126/72, but the RIGHT arm is 176/86. Once it even went to 201/120. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated as we are at loss for what to do next. Sorry for such a long post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 05:49 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
You need to get him back to the cardiologist ASAP. Sometimes stents fail. It happened to me. He has already dodged one bullet and you don't want to wait on this. Stents can collapse and also restenosis can occur and will usually happen in the first 3 months if it's going to happen. He may also be having artery spasms which can be very dangerous. If the nitro does not help after 3 times of taking 1 every five minutes he needs to get to the ER or call an ambulance. Call his cardiologist and do not wait!

Closed Thread