It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
After the flu: now I have heart pounding and anxious feeling

Hi,
I don't usually post here but need some advice.

A week ago I had what I think was the flu. All the symptoms but neg flu test. Dr. prescribed Tamiflu which I took for 4 days until I had some weird heart episode during the night.

I wasn't horribly sick. Low fever, fatigue and cough. But on the 4th night of my illness and Tamiflu, I woke up with this nervous, anxious feeling in my chest. I couldn't go back to sleep because every time I'd relax, I'd get like this jolt of adrenaline or startle feeling. Then my heart would pound really hard and then settle a bit. But it would keep doing it. Nothing I did could make it quit completely.

I went to urgent care in the morning and they did an EKG and it was normal. The dr. told me to quit taking the Tamiflu in case that caused it and to go home. It got better and it didn't happen again until 5 days later the same exact thing happened during the night again. Adrenaline rush, heart pounding and just a nervous anxious feeling in my chest.

So I went to my regular doctor who did another EKG which looked perfect, as she put it. I'm going in for an echo next week and waiting for a call back about getting a holter vest. They also did blood work and that should be back today or tomorrow.

I do have a heart murmur but have never been told it's anything more than a heart murmur (no MVP). I'm 45yrs old and have never had any health problems.

Could I have MVP and it just never was an issue until something with the virus magnified the symptoms? Do I have a heart infection? I've read about that and I don't have any pain or discomfort, just the anxious feeling and needing to take deep cleansing breaths more than usual.

It just seems odd that I never have any issues until the this flu or whatever virus I had. Then - boom - I'm having some serious health issues. Any opinions? Because until I get all of my tests, my mind is going in 100 different directions and that isn't helping this anxious feeling and nerves

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: After the flu: now I have heart pounding and anxious feeling

it could be alot of things from heart mumor to infection or something
might want to see your cardi doctor also.If you are alseep when this happens maybe it is sleep apnea?Or is is hormones like hot flashes

Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I got my blood work and it's not infection or thyroid related. Everything was within normal ranges.

So onto the next tests - holter monitor and echo.

I'm hoping that this is something still related to the virus I had and will never occur again.

Last edited by irisrose; 03-19-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

linda1962 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose View Post
I got my blood work and it's not infection or thyroid related. Everything was within normal ranges.

So onto the next tests - holter monitor and echo.

I'm hoping that this is something still related to the virus I had and will never occur again.
I just looked up side effects with regards to Tamiflu and this was way at the bottom. Perhaps you're right and it was just from the flue AND having Tamiflu:

Observed During Clinical Practice

The following adverse reactions have been identified during postmarketing use of TAMIFLU. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to TAMIFLU exposure.

Body as a Whole: Swelling of the face or tongue, allergy, anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions

Dermatologic: Dermatitis, rash, eczema, urticaria, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis (see PRECAUTIONS)

Digestive: Hepatitis, liver function tests abnorma
l

Cardiac: Arrhythmia

Gastrointestinal disorders: Gastrointestinal bleeding, hemorrhagic colitis

Neurologic: Seizure

Metabolic: Aggravation of diabetes

Psychiatric: Delirium, including symptoms such as altered level of consciousness, confusion, abnormal behavior, delusions, hallucinations, agitation, anxiety, nightmares (see PRECAUTIONS)
DRUG INTERACTIONS

Please let us know what happens with your holter test. Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1962 View Post
I just looked up side effects with regards to Tamiflu and this was way at the bottom. Perhaps you're right and it was just from the flue AND having Tamiflu:

Observed During Clinical Practice

The following adverse reactions have been identified during postmarketing use of TAMIFLU. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to TAMIFLU exposure.

Body as a Whole: Swelling of the face or tongue, allergy, anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions

Dermatologic: Dermatitis, rash, eczema, urticaria, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis (see PRECAUTIONS)

Digestive: Hepatitis, liver function tests abnorma
l

Cardiac: Arrhythmia

Gastrointestinal disorders: Gastrointestinal bleeding, hemorrhagic colitis

Neurologic: Seizure

Metabolic: Aggravation of diabetes

Psychiatric: Delirium, including symptoms such as altered level of consciousness, confusion, abnormal behavior, delusions, hallucinations, agitation, anxiety, nightmares (see PRECAUTIONS)
DRUG INTERACTIONS

Please let us know what happens with your holter test. Good luck
Thanks for the info! I did read in one place this same information so was hopeful it was the Tamiflu. But I have been off of Tamiflu since last Wednesday and I'm still having this same issue. I would think it should be out of my system by now. But I don't know that for sure.

Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i have a similar experience. i had cold and cough in dec 2007 so the dr prescribed me zyrtec-d and actifed compound linctus. i took them and felt that my heart rate was super fast.i woke up with a sudden jerk too. i measured and it was over 120. i stopped the medication. then i was ok until end of jan when suddenly at night my heart started to race again. i didnt dare to measure. it was fast enough to wake me up suddenly. it went on for over an hour and i tot i was going to die. the next morning it was still fast so i went to the dr and he prescirbed me propanolol. then in mid feb it happened again and i took propanolol but it didnt help immediately. once again i tot i was going to die. went to the dr and he did the thyroid test but i was negative. one week later, it happened again but this time i took a new medicine cardium and it helped calmed me down very quickly.
went to a cardiologist, he said my ecg was normal. said maybe i have psvt. going to have my 24hr holter next month. i am so scared when night comes nowadays.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

I dont know if i can spell this right however you might of had rumantic fever
it is like the flu but you get a infection around the heart
usally caused by strep throat or flu

Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopesprings2 View Post
I dont know if i can spell this right however you might of had rumantic fever
it is like the flu but you get a infection around the heart
usally caused by strep throat or flu
I didn't have a sore throat at all with this virus. So I'm pretty certain that is not it. Plus my blood work showed no signs of infection.

I suppose it is possible that I had Rheumatic fever as a child at some point and may have mitro valve prolapse as a result. But until the echo I don't even know if I have MVP.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

That is exactly how my battle with rapid heart rate began. I was prescribed z-pac and then augmentin for a cold that I was having trouble getting rid of and now I have had rapid heart rate and PVC and PAC ever since. Is it connected? I don't know, but it is a strange coincidence. I have been fighting this battle too ever since with all of this and it has been over 13 months.
mmee

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

how often does it happen?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Just about everyday. I actually have a holter monitor on right now. I had to go to the er last night, because my pulse was fast and then my heart began to beat 2 or 3 times and do intermittent stops. So, it was pretty bad. I really don't know how I got this, but it started in Feb 2007 and has not stopped acting it.
mmee

Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

all along my baseline has been high. now it gets even faster maybe like once a week. i will be doing a one day holter next week. but i don't think it will show anything. it never happens when u want it to. i asked the dr b4 but he doenst think it was due to the medication. he said it shouldnt happen after stopping the med.
let me know the results.

Closed Thread