It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #1

ChangingDaily HB User
Question Pregnancy & Rapid Pulse

I am new to this board, so bear with me. I am 38yrs old, 19 weeks pregnant, & in good physical condition. I visited my OB yesterday because my heart rate will not slow down. Before pregnancy it was in the 60s at rest and now it is 100 at rest. I am constantly out of breath & tired (more than I was with prev. pregnancies) He sent me for an EKG.

The office phoned me today and asked that I see a cardiologist. They said my sinus rhythm was fine, but I had low voltage QRS.

I have no idea what this means & I am not able to see the cardiologist until next week. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this is & is it a problem for me or the baby.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Lauretta

Old 10-15-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
Lauretta if you do a search on low voltage QRS you find a lot of technical stuff that the average person would not be able to understand. It sounds like maybe they suspect cardiomyopathy, but I'm just guessing here. My friends daughter had this happen to her after she had given birth. They were able to treat her and she is doing fine now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #3

beckysma HB User
I don't know anything about the low voltage QRS, but during my first pregnancy, my resting pulse was 119! I was also always out of breath. In my case, my heart was otherwise healthy, so I just had to endure the rapid heartrate through the pregnancy.

Hopefully, your problems are due to the pregnancy, and will abate afterwards.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

pregowith#6 HB User
Hi,

Try not to worry until after you talk to the cardio and he gives you a reason to. I am now almost 30 weeks pregnant with my 6th and will be 36 in December. I had to wear a 24hr monitor as well as have numerous blood test back in April. I kept feeling my heart flutter like it was skipping beats and my pulse felt very high. I had no idea at the time I was pregnant. My test came back that I was having PVC's and that my average heart rate was 98bpm. Are you taking your pulse when you first wake in the morning before getting out of bed? That would give you your resting heart rate. My doctor told me that my faster pulse was because of the extra blood flow as were PVC's. I don't know much about0 the problem you mentioned except that from wha0t I've read cardiomyopthia is something that usually happens in the last trimester or after birth. I also know that once you feel there is something wrong with your heart the worry and the fear can make everything worse. For a while I was checking my pulse several times a day and at times it was as high as the 120's. I think alot of it was fear induced because after I managed to calm myself down (which took several months) It stays in the 90's and sometimes is about 105. I also did a survey on a couple of different maternity sites and asked other moms to be for their heart rates. I found that about 85% who responded had heart rates above 100 and some as high as 120 when just walking through a store. Also I read that when checking a pregnant womans heart ekgs are not as reliable as other test because our hearts enlarge and **** to the left. I hope this helps. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Theresa

Closed Thread