It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User
Post Feeling Blue!

Hi everyone
I've been checking out the place & I thought this would be a great place for support and information from some of you that has been where I am at now!
I had a heart attack 5 days ago they ended up putting a stent in my heart.
I just got out of the hospital yesterday! Thank god I actually got to get out of the hospital! I'm a 39 year old female, I'm having some anxiety problems, which they put me on medication for I just thought if I ever had a heart/Att. I would be much older not in my 30's http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif
Their is so much medication that I have to take that's unbelievable
Is there anyone out there that had to take Coumadin? My nurse told me it was 'rat poisoning' I'm thinking Geesh, I just about dyed & your wanting to poison me well anyways she said it was a great medicine. Has anyone taken this medicine and gotten good results? I'm going to hush ramblin' on I hope to be chatting with you all soon.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Gemi_Lee:

Your description of events and the anxiety reminds me of what I went through. First thing though, Coumadin is a blood thinner, not rat poison That was just a joke and perhaps a bad attempt.

I am 36 now, but had my heart attack at 35. I needed a stent at that time because my RCA was 99% blocked. My LAD was 50% blocked and they left it alone. That needed to be stented 3 months later, in July 2002. I went back in a few days later, thanks to anxiety. Had a third cath, and they said I was fine. Then, in October, I thought I felt angina again, so back to the ER I went. This time, I had a stress test. I looked at my images on the way out and they all looked good. I finally gave in and asked my physician for Paxil for anxiety. I only thought I knew what anxiety was...I went back off of it a few days later and have had only one bout of anxiety in the past year.

To try to set your mind at ease, yes, anxiety is normal for 30 year old heart attack survivors. Yes, it does lessen with time, but two things will help greatly with that. The first is to do those things that you know are right (healthy) such as change eating habits, exercise, work on reducing stress. The second is to believe that you can overcome this disease and stave it off by doing the first.

It can be done--don't let anyone discourage you from it. Both of my non-drug eluting stents are holding up just fine. I went from being a 6-7 day/wk red meat eater to eating a tofu/chicken/fish diet with the majority of portions vegetables, from 227 lbs to 155 lbs, from sedentary to a 3 mile/day runner, from diabetic with meds to unmedicated and reversed essentially where I can eat huge desserts and not go high on my glucose reading, from hypertensive with 3 meds to normal and unmedicated (100/60) blood pressure, from needing Tricor for triglycerides in the 600 mg/dL range, to an unmedicated value of 31-37 mg/dL, and finally from a total cholesterol of 290 with 29 HDL to a total of 143 with 70 HDL (higher than my bad LDL which was 67). The only prescription med that I still take is Zyrtec for allergies.

...yes, it is a shame that we have CHD at such a young age, but we also have youth on our side where we can still derive a huge benefit from making the changes we can to overcome this disease as best we can

Hang in there Gemi! You have my best wishes!

Ulrich

[This message has been edited by ubernier (edited 10-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ubernier (edited 10-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 06:40 AM   #3
Inactive

cutup HB User
Gemi I don't know exactly how you feel because I had blockage,but was fortunate enough to have not had a heart attack. I had 75% blockage in my LAD. Scarring around the stent(98% block) caused me to need emergency bypass surgery three months later. I was 41 when this all began. I'm 43 now.
Emotionally you may be on a roller coaster for awhile. Anxiety can be a problem and sometimes it's difficult to tell whether it's anxiety or that you've still got a heart problem going on. I've not been on coumadin, but was on 11 different meds at one time. Now I'm down to 5. Cardiac rehab was the answer for me. I learned about the disease, diet, and exercise. I'm here for support. I know a little bit of what you are going through.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

Gemi_Lee HB User
Hi ubernier & cutup
Thanks for letting me know how it was for you all. I'm glad that you all are doing so much better now!
Sounds like I have a long road in front of me!

I have 2 other arteries that have blockage one is 35% & the other one has 65% I also have some blood clots around some of my heart that their trying to get rid of with the Coumadin. I'm so afraid that in the future I might have to have open heart surgery!
I do remember reading somewhere that heart patiences go through a depression etc...So I guess this is normal for me to feel this way.....but I hate it
Thanks, you all for your support & information!

Closed Thread