It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Inactive

CLC1 HB User
Post How long can palpitations last?

Days at a time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
In short, oh yes...days at a time.
Palpitation is a broad term used for any abnormal rhythm and/or sensations of the heart. Sometimes these irregularities are temporary, and brief. Sometimes they occur frequently throughout the day. Sometimes they are felt as a "skipped beat" or "flutter" and one can even experience these several times a minute, all day, every day. Most often they are of no real clinical consequence and are considered "benign", although they can cause a lot of anxiety and discomfort.

Sometimes the cause is totally unknown.
But often they are caused by too much caffeine, lack of sleep, lack of magnesium, anxiety, alcohol, many other things. If you read these boards, you'll find SO many people who have gone through this.
I had skipped beats (known in my case as PVCs) for three months straight....a skip every 30 seconds, every minute of every hour of every day...Jeesh...it made me NUTS. The doc ran tests galore. My heart is healthy.
Then one day they just stopped.
Haven't returned either.

If yours continue and are making you anxious, make an appt. with your doctor, who will probably run a simple in-office EKG and check you over, and in all probablity reassure you that your heart is okay and these are benign. There are further heart tests that can be done as well, depending on what the doctor determines at the initial check-up.

If they become very frequent and troublesome, there are medications that can help.

zuzu xxx

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 10-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Inactive

CLC1 HB User
Thank you very much zuzu!

Closed Thread