It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

Aprilrain HB User
Post heart murmur

Yesterday during my annual exam my Dr. said I have a heart murmur but "it's nothing to worry about" and that's all he said. Of course, I am worried. Does anyone know what this means?

Old 10-17-2003, 06:05 AM   #2

bramdam HB User
Usually a heart murmur means that one of your valves is not functioning 100%. I also have a murmur and for the most part have had to do nothing about it my whole life. About 3 years ago I was told I should take premeds before having any operation or dental work which I do since bacteria released during these procedures could infect the valve. The type of murmur I have needs additional monitoring so I go to a Cardiologist and have an ECHO performed every year. In addition, I am taking an ACE inhibitor to lower blood pressure thus hopefully prolonging the life of my valve. However, from what I have been told, most murmurs are harmless. I would recommend getting an ECHO done to figure out which valve is leaking and consult a Cardiologist on if there is any need for concern. Good Luck and don't stress about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
You need to go and get an ECHOcardiogram.
Now it may be nothing they can put a finger on, but it doesn't hurt to have a look.
Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

Old 10-18-2003, 04:27 AM   #4
(female)

Aprilrain HB User
Thanks for the replies. I have been to a cardiologist, I was having chest pains last year and I had a stress test about a year ago and heart catheterization last February, I have a 30 % blockage in one artery, but nobody said anything about a heart murmur. Could this have started since then? Wouldn't the cardiologist have told me if I had a heart murmur then ?

Aprilrain

Closed Thread