It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #1

jwic HB User
Post What triggers your PVC's?

I am a 35 yr. old female who has infrequent problems with pvc's.I have also had problems with heart palpitations. I have been checked by 4 cardiologists over the years and wore a 24 hr. moniter and had a stress test. I was told there is nothing wrong with my heart except a "click" , but that my heart is very "sensitive". I have found that these things trigger palpitations and pvc's : fever, nausea , exercise (sometimes), stress, and of course caffeine which I avoid like the plague. The last few days I have been having more pvc's and the only thing I can attribute them to is a mild fever.
By the way , can anyone answer this question, do palpitations cause your temperature to go up (like to 99.5 degrees ) or is a low grade temp. caused only by illness?
Sorry for this jumble of questions.

Old 10-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #2

parkermom HB User
I'm assuming you had an Echocardiogram done? PVC's are "premature ventricular contractions" and are usually benign (harmless but bothersome). I can relate to what you're having. I've been having more of these recently but I have a heart condition known as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (a thickening of the ventricle). That's what causes mine but I take a beta blocker. For several years the beta blocker has been taking care of 98% of them, but I may have to increase my dose now. As for your fever, I don't think it is causing the pvc's...maybe you are a little anxious and worried about these that are causing them to flare up. Stress and anxiety and caffeine can cause this also...take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 05:22 AM   #3
(male)

redbaron HB User
My PVC's normally occur when I am tired or stressed, they almost always occur when I am laying down in bed.
Many people believe that these little horrors are caused by diet, but I have tried avoiding Caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, etc without it making much difference.
Are these things Genetic? Does anybody with them also have a Parent ot Grandparent with the same problem?

Old 10-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #4

beckysma HB User
I have a very strong genetic link towards them, so for me, they are inevitable. However, dehydration really does it for me. And I don't even realize I'm dehydrated. But I notice that if I make a real effort to drink more water, that helps. Also when I eat low carb, that helps. And I'm on a beta blocker, also helpful.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #5

Carrie830 HB User
My mother and I both suffer from skip beats but my are alot worse then hers! I hope my daughter dont get them as well! I first noticed mine when i was 19 and still having them at age 27! I seem to notice them more when im laying in bed going to sleep, i found propin myself helps alot thought, i think something to do with laying flat makes them worse, anyone else notice this??

Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
(male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User
I've had PVC's for 25+ years. They increased in frequency a few years ago when my heart enlarged due to high blood pressure. The PVC's pretty much go away as long as my BP is OK and my pulse stays under 65 (helped by 200 mg of atenolol).

Old 10-18-2003, 11:39 PM   #7
Inactive

ralve HB User
Hi, I just wanted to mention that I get PVC's every day, and sometimes I am not aware of them as much, but usually I get on the average about one every 10 or 20 beats, which adds up to alot throughout the day!! I often wonder if this amount can be dangerous, but I've been having them for so many years, that I've just kind of gotten used to them. Of course, when I first started getting them about 10 years ago, when I was in my early thirties, I was panicking, went to the ER several times, and had plently of tests. Just recently, I had the thallium stress test, which came out ok, and have had echos, and EKG's and all that. The only thing I've really been able to attribute it to is possibly menopause. They became really bad one summer, when it just so happened to be the last summer I had cycles. After that, they basically disappeared. Then, out of the blue, they came back, and now I have them each day again, they gradually increased again over time. I avoid caffeine also, and also notice that it helps to really drink A LOT of water. Like drink it all the time, walk around with a water bottle. Do any of you have it sometimes as frequently as I do? Well, thanks for all of the help on here!! Val

Closed Thread