It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 AM   #1

Bunnies HB User
Question CHF,Advanced-What to expect?

Hi,
My mom has advanced CHF. She can not walk even 2 steps, and when she tries to transfer from reclining chair to wheelchair without oxygen? She can not breathe. She is rapidly declining. In addition, no amount of diuretics is reducing the swelling of her body anymore...

Does anyone know where I can receive info to prepare my family for the progression of this disease?

Thank you,
Bunnie

Old 10-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #2

parkermom HB User
what heart condition does she have? What does her doctor say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #3

parkermom HB User
what heart condition does she have? What does her doctor say?

Old 10-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #4

Bunnies HB User
Hi Parkermom,

For some time now, the cardiologist has simply been saying it's Cardiomyopathy. And no, they say she's not a candidate for transplant.

Katie

Old 10-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #5
Inactive

ralve HB User
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Do you know what type of cardiomyopathy it is? There are very different results and prognosis with the different types. My Dad had restrictive cardiomyopathy, which I believe is the worst kind. He also had lots of swelling, and shortness of breath, and they could never really attribute his to anything. How old is your Mom? Was she a smoker or overweight, do they say there is a reason for this? We never really got any answers, my Dad was due to have a heart biopsy to check for amyloidosis, but passed away one week before. He was 69, and in excellent health all of his life, and then one day he started to get the swelling and shortness of breath. The restrictive cardiomyopathy is usually caused by some kind of infiltrative heart disease, such as amyloid, so it's a very specific thing, your Mom probably does not have that, as it's very rare. Well, good luck to you guys, and one more thing, what meds is she on?? Thanks, Val

Old 10-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Bunnies,

I think "hypertropic cardiomyopathy" is the most common and here's the best web site on it:
[url="http://www.4hcm.org/overview/index.php"]http://www.4hcm.org/overview/index.php[/url]

a total aside....Dr. Atkins was dying of cardiomyopathy at the time of his death (from a fall).

Closed Thread