It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #1

mrllns75 HB User
Question rapid heart rate

A few weeks ago I had an episode where my heart started beating extremely fast, dizziness, and I felt like something was shoved into my throat and it was closed, I couldn't hardly breath.

I tried to relax and take deep breaths but it didn't go away. I went to the ER and my heart rate was 197. It lasted an hour and just when the dr was getting ready to give me something to slow it down, it stopped. The pain was gone, I felt fine.
He ran some blood work, said everything was normal. He didn't give me any explanation as to what caused it. He also said I was too young to have any heart problems (i'm 28 yrs old).

Can anyone tell me what causes this and if it's anything to worry about? OR are these the symptoms of anxiety attacks?

Old 10-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Sounds like tachycardia to me. I just had one of those episodes myself a few weeks ago, scary huh? They can be brought on my many different things. Caffiene, low blood sugar level(hypoglycemia)stress, anxiety. I use to get them alot as a young girl and when I hit my 30's they got less frequent and in the 40's even less, but I just had a couple spells. I also have mitral valve prolapse and recently hypoglycemia(which brought on the last episode, working out and then grabbing a StarBucks coffee and scone just put it all into action, took 3 hrs to get mine down. Majority of the time these are benign incedents, but one thing is, WE are NEVER too young for heart problems in this day and age, and he shouldn't have poo pooed you off like that. You must be female by his reaction. Never take us serious. Either sex he shouldn't have side kicked your symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 05:45 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
mrllns,

Here's a good info link on atrial fibrillation:
[url="http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/a/afib.htm"]http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/a/afib.htm[/url]

Old 10-19-2003, 09:37 AM   #4
Inactive

Sp0ck HB User
The heart rate of 197 is an indication of something else. I am not ruling out anxiety but 197 is higher than normal in my opinion.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #5

mrllns75 HB User
NancyH,
Yes it is scary, that's the first time it has happened to me and it scared me to death. Yes again, I am female and that comment is ridiculous coming from a dr. because they should know that heart problems can affect ppl of all ages.

zip2play.......thanks for the link

spOck... I thought so too, so I am trying to get as much info as possible about it

[This message has been edited by mrllns75 (edited 10-19-2003).]

Closed Thread