It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #1

romelaw HB User
Unhappy heart problems or anxiety? Help

Hey everyone this is kind of long but hopefully someone can give me some lightas to my problem.
About a month ago I went to the ER because of pressure on left side of my chest and pain between my shoulder blades. (I am 47, female, 25-30 lbs overweight) I had been through a stressful trial. At the ER they did blood tests, an MRI, an ultrasound, and ekg. I have some mitral regurgitation(sp) but not enough to meet criteria for mitral valve prolapse. MRI was OK, blood test did not show heart attack but a little low on potassium, my ekg showed a PVC (i think) about 10 per minute. blood pressure was a high at 144/103. They said this was not a cardiac emergency and to follow up with a cardiologist. Went to cardiologist about 4 days later. He followed up with more blood work and stress test. Stress test still showed the same PVC or PAC but he said I did pretty good. He put me on atenenol and told me to lose weight and come back in a month. During the month I would have periodic episodes where my chest would ache. I also had what I believe is a gall bladder attack. My pulse was very low from 49-50. But I felt it was the atenenol. I started learning how to control my blood pressure with breathing and bio-feedback and have brought it down to a normal level. My cholesterol came back as overall cholesterol of 160, but my hdl is only 29. Saw the doctor again yesterday. His nurse took my blood pressue and it was normal but then she started yelling that she couldn't feel my pulse. She started panicing and ran out and got the EKG machine hooked me up and it came back at a pulse of 54. Of course my blood pressure went to 150/100. Scared me to death. Doctor came in an said not to worry. He said my pulse is not that low but wanted me to reduce the atenenol. Well this episode with the nurse has now put me on a stress episode agiain. My chest is aching more and I am aware of little pains in my chest. I am not dizzy as I was b/c I have reduced my meds. Today, I wss back in the same courtroom that I had the trial and I started feeling anxious. I could feel my blood pressure rising and an "achyness" in my chest. I am very worried that all this may be signaling a heart blockage. Or is it all stress related? I went out and bought a bunch of vitamins to raise the hdl cholesterol. I don't drink but I read that red wine can help you HDL so I had a glass of Merlot tonight. It helped to calm me but I did notice the aching in my chest would come and go.
Any thoughts from anyone? Does seem like my arteries are blocking? your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 06:50 AM   #2

parkermom HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by romelaw:
Hey everyone this is kind of long but hopefully someone can give me some lightas to my problem.
About a month ago I went to the ER because of pressure on left side of my chest and pain between my shoulder blades. (I am 47, female, 25-30 lbs overweight) I had been through a stressful trial. At the ER they did blood tests, an MRI, an ultrasound, and ekg. I have some mitral regurgitation(sp) but not enough to meet criteria for mitral valve prolapse. MRI was OK, blood test did not show heart attack but a little low on potassium, my ekg showed a PVC (i think) about 10 per minute. blood pressure was a high at 144/103. They said this was not a cardiac emergency and to follow up with a cardiologist. Went to cardiologist about 4 days later. He followed up with more blood work and stress test. Stress test still showed the same PVC or PAC but he said I did pretty good. He put me on atenenol and told me to lose weight and come back in a month. During the month I would have periodic episodes where my chest would ache. I also had what I believe is a gall bladder attack. My pulse was very low from 49-50. But I felt it was the atenenol. I started learning how to control my blood pressure with breathing and bio-feedback and have brought it down to a normal level. My cholesterol came back as overall cholesterol of 160, but my hdl is only 29. Saw the doctor again yesterday. His nurse took my blood pressue and it was normal but then she started yelling that she couldn't feel my pulse. She started panicing and ran out and got the EKG machine hooked me up and it came back at a pulse of 54. Of course my blood pressure went to 150/100. Scared me to death. Doctor came in an said not to worry. He said my pulse is not that low but wanted me to reduce the atenenol. Well this episode with the nurse has now put me on a stress episode agiain. My chest is aching more and I am aware of little pains in my chest. I am not dizzy as I was b/c I have reduced my meds. Today, I wss back in the same courtroom that I had the trial and I started feeling anxious. I could feel my blood pressure rising and an "achyness" in my chest. I am very worried that all this may be signaling a heart blockage. Or is it all stress related? I went out and bought a bunch of vitamins to raise the hdl cholesterol. I don't drink but I read that red wine can help you HDL so I had a glass of Merlot tonight. It helped to calm me but I did notice the aching in my chest would come and go.
Any thoughts from anyone? Does seem like my arteries are blocking? your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you had a pretty good workup...I wouldn't be worried of anything serious..Anxiety can cause so many things to happen. Anyone who gets nervous or anxious can bring on chest pains, etc. As far as the Atenolol dose, sometimes the doctor has to play around with it for each individual. I am on atenolol and my dose has changed. fyi...it is not unusual for your pulse to drop to 50 while on Atenolol. That's where most atenolol users are. take care and do not worry...

Old 10-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #3

romelaw HB User
Question

Thanks so much. I am going to see my doc about getting on some anti-anxiety meds. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread