It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

cheribea HB User
Question pericardial mass

Hi
anyone else have a pericardial mass? Went to the doc for continual nonproductive cough they found pericardial mass after x-ray and cat scan. She said she didn't really know what to do with the info and sent me on to a cardiologist. He is doing echocardiogram. I have chest pain also and have palpatations that get worse when I eat and then sit. Cardiologist is thinking we will just wait and see if it grows. Any ideas anyone? Thanks
Cheribea

------------------
god has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Old 10-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #2

jtaylo HB User
Sorry that you are going through this. In 11/89 I was diagnosed with a pericardial mass following a work up for allergy sxs. Luckily, a chest x-ray was included that picked it up. I saw a pulmonary MD, then directly to a cardiothoracic surgeon--never saw a cardiologist per se. The mass was the size of a small orange and benign, thank God. I was very scared because of strong family history of cancer. My surgeon in Albany,N>Y> convinced me that it really needed to come out--it did not belong there, was taking up space in the pericardial area and would be very problematic if God forbid I had some kind of trauma to the chest area. It was a 3-4 hour surgery, ICU 1 day, 3 additional days in hospital. Could not drive for 1 month, out of work total 2 months. My surgeon when asked why this occurred simply said that some poeple are cyst formers. I am reading these boards now because at the age of 52 and still in good health or so I thought I have completed a cardiac workup for ventricular tachycardia and am being advised to have an electrophysiological study. One question I will have for my EP MD will be regarding the connection between scar tissue from the pericardial surgery and the current problem. It's always something!!!!! Please ask all the questions you need to of your MD--it is a rather rare condition. I would be happy to give you the name of my surgeon who was fantastic--trained at Yale,confident yet personable. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

cheribea HB User
thank you jtaylo!!
I very much appreciate your response.
Sounds very similar to what I have, but your dr. approached it pulomonary instead of cardiac,,, I have been wondering if that is the way I should have been handled also. And cystic people??? Oh boy am I. Over the years they have found cysts on my thyroid, liver, ovaries and now this one in my pericardium. That is a very interesting question that you are planning on taking to your doc regarding scar tissue. I will be interested to hear the doctors answer. From what I have heard that scar tissue can really be something to deal with. Did you have a persistant nonproductive cough? Had you suddenly become VERY sensitive to dust of any sort? These are the two symptoms that I can definitely connect to this pericardial cyst. The palpatations and chest pain seem to stem more from an estrogen problem, perimenopause, since If I take a good amount of premarin daily I can get rid of them. I would be interested to know the name of your doc. It would be quite a trip for us, but we are willing to do that should the need arise. We have been seriously considering Mayo clinic. My grandpa and all 5 of his brothers died of lung cancer,,never thought I was at risk, because I never smoked (watching someone die of lung cancer is a very strong deterent for a teenager) now am wondering. I HAVE been a weaver of fabric for many years, a hobby of mine that I have had to give up in the last year because it makes the cough SO bad. Thanks again!
Cheribea

------------------
god has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
Inactive

cutup HB User
Cheribea, there was a lady on another heart board that I visit that had a tumor removed from her heart. I don't know if this is the same thing or not. She came through her surgery very well.

Closed Thread