It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
NYYank

Post Post Angioplasty Questions

I'm a 36 year old male who had an angioplasty Oct.9 for blockage in LCX and LAD using 3 stents. I'm on Plavix and aspirin and was told I'll be on the aspirin for the rest of my life. I'm a beer drinker and am worried about taking the aspirin with the alcohol. I've given up smoking (was 2 packs a day) and given up the food I love but I'm not ready to let go of the beer. I used to drink aprox. 8-10 beers per night on the weekend and I understand that I'll need to cut down on that but I'm wondering if I should skip the aspirin on days I'm going to drink. Has anyone else had the same concerns? I feel lucky to be alive but I'm only 36 and can only change so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User

NYYank
I am wondering if you have been prescribed cholesterol lowering medications. The combination of statins and alcohol can cause problems with your liver. Beer has a lot of calories and no nutritional value and I believe it is notorious for raising triglycerides. It is difficult to make all those changes at once. It's great that you've quit smoking which probably will help you more than any of the other lifestyle changes. Others might not agree, but for now just take small steps towards a healthier lifestyle. You just need to keep in mind that you have a progressive disease. Have you added some exercise into your daily routine?
I would not skip taking the aspirin, but it would be best to talk to your doctor. I'm sure they've had others ask the same question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
YANK,

Beer is ok in moderation if you can control your weight with it.
NEVER skip your aspirin.

Where did you have your angioplasty done? If in NYC, what hospital?

Old 10-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
(male)

Yank HB User
Bizzare...I just replied and it said there was no listing of NYYank...I clicked on forgot my password and they e-mailed me a user name of Yank....strange!

Anyway, The doctor did prescribe Advicor but I have an appointment with him tomorrow and plan on asking him if I can try to control my cholesterol through diet without the drugs. I read about a lot of nasty side effects with the Statins. I used to eat a LOT of fast food and am now writing down the cal/sodium/fat/sat.fat/chol/ etc. for everything I eat. So far I've lost about 11 pounds since the procedure so it seems to be working well. I waiting for delivery of a treadmill and plan on using it for 30-40 min. 5 days a week. My hope is that a strict combination of diet and exercise will allow me to have the Sat/Sun. beer I enjoy while still controlling my cholesterol.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
(male)

Yank HB User
Zip2play,

I'm out in Long Island and went to Winthrop in Mineola.

Closed Thread