It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #1

TurbanCowboy HB User
Post Is this a heart problem or not

I am a 25 year old male. I'm 6 1/2 feet tall and I weigh about 170. For years, at least before I turned 20 I have experienced these pains in the inside of my lest chest, almost behind the left nipple.

I get these random feelings of pressure or a squeezing sensation that prevents me from taking a deep breath. The deeper the breath I try and take the more pressure I feel. I don't try and fight the feeling as it feels like something will burst if I do and give myself a few seconds. It goes away and I can take a deep breath no problem.

I'm active, I work out, I play sports. I'm pretty much a healthy kid that's never been on medication or anything. I have no allergies, never been over weight, etc. I have been told I had too much fat in my blood before and that I didn't have enough Iron in my diet.

I've never mentioned this to anyone, ever, and I've been experiencing it for at least 5 years. I can't remember exactly when I first noticed it.

It's not something that happens every day or every other day.

Like I said, it's definitely somewhere inside the left part of my chest behind my breast bone. It's a feeling of pressure and it gets worse the harder I try and breath.

Does anyone know what this is all about? Is it serious?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...Rick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
Inactive

ralve HB User
Hi, years ago, I used to have something almost exactly as you describe. It was on the left side just like you and the pain was about how you describe. I never really figured out what it was, and it lasted for years. It used to really bother me, and it didn't seem like antacids or anything helped. I got it very frequently, and it would really ruin some days out, like if the family and I went out for the day, and I had that, it would just last all day, and kind of ruin the day for me.
I did go for several tests then, and my heart was fine. The symptoms you are describing, like mine, are probably not cardiac. Cardiac symptoms are very specific, and this dosen't fit in with that. Looking back, I suppose it could have been somthing muscular, I was in good shape then also, but maybe just something was getting irritated, or maybe some kind of a digestive thing. Because, I have read where things like hiatel hernia (I am not sure of the spelling there) are on the left side, and can cause that kind of discomfort. I remember one doctor telling me he just thought I might have a 'gas pocket' there. Maybe it's just something like that, that eventually goes away due to your body changing shape, I don't know. I haven't had it at all in the last few years, though. The point is, sometimes these kinds of pains can never be pinned down, there are so many things at work in that part of your body. I did the whole, skip from doctor to doctor thing, and each one had a different opinion, but all just kind of benign explanations. One other one said that I might have inflammed tissues there around my ribs or something, and that can be from anything. Sorry I couldn't help more, I just wanted you to know of my experience, and tell you that it's probably not your heart. Good luck, Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 02:49 PM   #3

TurbanCowboy HB User
Thanks,

I'm thinkin(hoping)it's nothing serious. I don't get it ever day or every week, and when I get it, I get it just once that day.

It's just a pretty scary feeling though when you get this feeling of pressure around that area. It absolutely prevents me from breathing and I hold my breath till it passes away.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Inactive

cutup HB User
Turban
Chances are that if it was your heart you would not be feeling it for the last five years without something very serious happening by now. Does the ********e on with exertion?

I dont' know what's up with the stars. What I wanted to say is does the chest pain and shortness of breath come on with exertion?

[This message has been edited by cutup (edited 10-23-2003).]

Old 10-25-2003, 07:16 AM   #5

Axenstar HB User
I heard of something like that. I believe it was called Precordial Catch. I recall the symptoms being similar to that, and only becoming exacerbated when taking a deep breath. Should look that up.

Hope this has been of help.

Closed Thread