It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #1

zandra2003 HB User
Unhappy Heart Skipping Beats SCARED!!

Please help me out you all! I know you all keep talking about this but I want to reassure myself that I am okay. My heart keeps skipping a beat and it makes my whole chest(heart) beat really hard after it skips. Hope this isn't to confusing. I feel a skip then beat then another STRONG BEAT! I feel it all the way in my throat. Then I have a slight headache from it after awhile. This happens to me about 4 or 5 times a day. Now I have been stressed about 3 weeks ago but thought I was doing better but guess not? PLEASE HELP ME YOU ALL!!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
ZANDRA

Old 10-02-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive

Gary777 HB User
So, how long has this been going on for? 3 weeks did you say? Have you consulted a doctor?

This happens to me occassionally, not daily, but sure is scary and annoying enough!

Take Care! Try to relax, stress makes it worse, at least for me.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Inactive

cutup HB User
What you are describing sounds like a palpation which is probably harmless. I started getting them when I was young during my first pregnancy. I thought I was having a heart problem. I still have them occasionally. Cut caffeine completely out of your diet. Take a walk to help relieve some of your stress. If you feel something is really wrong go to your doctor. You should always go with your gut feeling.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #4

zandra2003 HB User
Well this has been going since early Sept. I had this about 4 years ago and between now and then I would occasionally have this but this time...? Tonight has been really good don't know why? Just worried that it is affecting my blood flow in my body. Worried about Bleeding in other places like to much blood to my brain? I am just nuts I think I just am worrying but I hope it is just the stress and caffienne (can't spell it) I do drink ALOT of Diet Dr. Pepper in fact that is really all I drink? Please keep me in your prayers just a little spooked!

Zandra

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #5

zandra2003 HB User
Thank you for the advice you are very sweet and yes I do think it might be the caffeine? I do drink alot of diet drinks!!

Zandra

Quote:
Originally posted by cutup:
What you are describing sounds like a palpation which is probably harmless. I started getting them when I was young during my first pregnancy. I thought I was having a heart problem. I still have them occasionally. Cut caffeine completely out of your diet. Take a walk to help relieve some of your stress. If you feel something is really wrong go to your doctor. You should always go with your gut feeling.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Cool

Zandra, I have been reading various "heart boards" for many years now and found out that many people suffering from skips. I personally have them for many, many years. No day goes by where I don't have at least one or two skips. Every few months or so I have a day where I have a lot of them within one hour, that when I get a little nervous, but usually the next day I'm back to my one or two skips. When I sit still in my recliner and have a skip I also can feel the next 3 - 4 beats are a little more forceful.

I have been checked out by a cardiologist, he did Echo, Stress Test, EKG etc. and told me my heart is okay and not to worry about it. I'm taking 25 mg beta blocker per day. Last week I had my 6-month check-up with my cardiologist and I mentioned to him that lately I get an awful lots of skips. He told me to double my dose to 50 mg beta blocker and not to worry about the skips, they benign.

Zandra, I'm also having episodes of racing heart beats for many years besides these skips. I'm 74 years old, do lots of walking and biking and learned to live with my problem. In fact my skips are such an "every day occasion" that I almost ignore them. So don't worry so much, my doctor also told me that everbody has skips now and then, most people just don't notice them. I your skips get too bothersome, maybe you should tell the doctor about it so he can test you, even if it is just for your peace of mind. Like I said, I'm a senior with lots of skips and racing heart beats off and on for many years and I'm still around and kicking.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #7

zandra2003 HB User
Thank you so much Laura you are very kind. Glad you are okay I keep seeing these posts about Beta Blockers makes me wonder if I should go ahead and make a appointment. The last time I did go I felt like a fool cause my heart stopped fluttering and they ran all sorts of tests and I wore that watch thing and nothing was recorded! They said it was probably that Pro lapsed Mitro thing? I forget what he called it. I feel like it is child and when I want it to perform like it should it doensn't and I look like the fool? Today I have been good nothing yet maybe I am done for a while? Thank you again Laura you have been very helpful! Take care! Zandra

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura B:
Zandra, I have been reading various "heart boards" for many years now and found out that many people suffering from skips. I personally have them for many, many years. No day goes by where I don't have at least one or two skips. Every few months or so I have a day where I have a lot of them within one hour, that when I get a little nervous, but usually the next day I'm back to my one or two skips. When I sit still in my recliner and have a skip I also can feel the next 3 - 4 beats are a little more forceful.

I have been checked out by a cardiologist, he did Echo, Stress Test, EKG etc. and told me my heart is okay and not to worry about it. I'm taking 25 mg beta blocker per day. Last week I had my 6-month check-up with my cardiologist and I mentioned to him that lately I get an awful lots of skips. He told me to double my dose to 50 mg beta blocker and not to worry about the skips, they benign.

Zandra, I'm also having episodes of racing heart beats for many years besides these skips. I'm 74 years old, do lots of walking and biking and learned to live with my problem. In fact my skips are such an "every day occasion" that I almost ignore them. So don't worry so much, my doctor also told me that everbody has skips now and then, most people just don't notice them. I your skips get too bothersome, maybe you should tell the doctor about it so he can test you, even if it is just for your peace of mind. Like I said, I'm a senior with lots of skips and racing heart beats off and on for many years and I'm still around and kicking.

[This message has been edited by zandra2003 (edited 10-03-2003).]

Old 10-03-2003, 06:21 PM   #8

gailnightowl HB User

HI,MY NAME IS GAIL AND I HAVE HAD SKIPPED BEATS FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND IT ALWAYS SCARES ME. I HAVE BEEN TO MANY HEART DOCTORS AND EVEN THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR THIS CONDITION. I HAVE WORN MANY HEART MONITORS AND EVENT RECORDERS FOR OVER A MONTH. THEY TELL ME THAT I HAVE PVC'S AND PAC'S AND I ALWAYS SEEM TO GET A DIFFERENT DIAGNOISIS. I ALSO HAVE A VERY FAST HEART RATE AND SOMETIMES IT SEEMS TO SKIPP WHEN I HAVE THE FAST RATE BUT MOSTLY NOT. SEEMS TO BE WHEN I AM FEELING VERY TIRED THAT I HAVE MORE SKIP BEATS. I HAVE BEEN ON TENORMIN 50MG DAILY FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE DONE RESEARCH ON THIS MATTER FOR A LONG TIME AND GET MANY DIFFERENT ANSWERS. MOST DOCTORS TELL ME THAT IT IS MORE ANNOYING THAN DANGEROUS. THEY SAID IF I HAVE CONSTANT SKIPPING THAT IT COULD BE DANGEROUS AND I HAVE HAD THAT ALSO. I HOPE YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE THAT. TRY NOT TO GET SCARED TO BAD. THERE ARE SEVERAL TECHNIQUES THAT YOU CAN TRY WHEN YOU FEEL SKIP BEATS. TRY COUGHING OR BEARING DOWN LIKE YOU ARE PUSHING HAVING A BABY. NOT THAT I HAVE EVER HAD A BABY. ALSO THERE IS CQ10 WHICH IS VERY GOOD FOR SKIPP BEATS AND ALSO MAGNESIUM. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:09 PM   #9

zandra2003 HB User
Gail you are so kind too! Gosh I am so glad I found this website! I really thought I was gonna die!! I have been so scared and I have a worthless Doctor he couldn't get me in right away. Today I have had good day no skipping or nothing. This has not happened in 3 weeks. Really it has been that long and about 4 or 5 times a day. The other night I just cried and cried cause I was so scared. What was ironic about that was the skipping went away while I was crying!! Just feel so frustrated with it all!! Thank you Gail lets keep in touch!!

Zandra

Quote:
Originally posted by gailnightowl:

HI,MY NAME IS GAIL AND I HAVE HAD SKIPPED BEATS FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND IT ALWAYS SCARES ME. I HAVE BEEN TO MANY HEART DOCTORS AND EVEN THE EMERGENCY ROOM FOR THIS CONDITION. I HAVE WORN MANY HEART MONITORS AND EVENT RECORDERS FOR OVER A MONTH. THEY TELL ME THAT I HAVE PVC'S AND PAC'S AND I ALWAYS SEEM TO GET A DIFFERENT DIAGNOISIS. I ALSO HAVE A VERY FAST HEART RATE AND SOMETIMES IT SEEMS TO SKIPP WHEN I HAVE THE FAST RATE BUT MOSTLY NOT. SEEMS TO BE WHEN I AM FEELING VERY TIRED THAT I HAVE MORE SKIP BEATS. I HAVE BEEN ON TENORMIN 50MG DAILY FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE DONE RESEARCH ON THIS MATTER FOR A LONG TIME AND GET MANY DIFFERENT ANSWERS. MOST DOCTORS TELL ME THAT IT IS MORE ANNOYING THAN DANGEROUS. THEY SAID IF I HAVE CONSTANT SKIPPING THAT IT COULD BE DANGEROUS AND I HAVE HAD THAT ALSO. I HOPE YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE THAT. TRY NOT TO GET SCARED TO BAD. THERE ARE SEVERAL TECHNIQUES THAT YOU CAN TRY WHEN YOU FEEL SKIP BEATS. TRY COUGHING OR BEARING DOWN LIKE YOU ARE PUSHING HAVING A BABY. NOT THAT I HAVE EVER HAD A BABY. ALSO THERE IS CQ10 WHICH IS VERY GOOD FOR SKIPP BEATS AND ALSO MAGNESIUM. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.

Old 10-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
(female)

IhaveHope HB User
Zandra, The very reason I come to this board is because of the very same complaint you have. I have had palpitations (PACs) for 20 years now. At one point I was having up to 20 every minute. I have had ekgs, stress tests, echos, holitor moniters, a little of everything. When I was having so many a minute I tried to eliminate anything that could be causing them. I found that anything with Nutra-sweet caused my heart to have so many PACs. I have stopped eating/drinking anything diet, and now I have a few weeks a month with no or very few "skipped beats". However, I have found that for about 2 weeks a month - when I ovulate and when I am on my period, they return with a vengence. I know what you mean about crying and being so scared. I have been told so many times that they are benign, not dangerous, stress related, yada, yada, yada . . . but they still scare me so bad at times that I can not function. I believe that I am healthy and that my heart is not going to just stop, but still when I have them it is the most horrible feeling. I pray so hard to be delivered from this malady, but evidently it is God's will for this to be my cross to bear in life. It just feels to hard to carry at time. I know it could be worse. And I am thankful it is not. It just feels so bad. But like the lady in her 70's said - she has had it a long time and is still "kicking." That brings me comfort as does just reading the threads posted on this board. If PAC's caused a lot of deaths, I don't think we would see so many postings where people with the same symptoms report their doctor's told them the same thing - that the weird beats are "harmless." They just don't feel harmless do they. ;0) One good thing about them though, they keep me holding tightly to God and trusting them. It is for sure I can't trust the beating of my heart, only that each beat is a gift from Him. God bless you,
IhaveHope

Old 10-04-2003, 01:22 PM   #11

Carrie830 HB User
Just wanted to reply! I'm 27 years old and I've been having these skip beats and also extra beats sence I was like 19! I've been to the doctor and like everyone else had lots of test done and was told these are not dangerous, not to worry about them (lol) I no its hard not too http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif I do pretty good having them now as long as I don't get those ones that are like back to back http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif When I was seen by a cardio about them years ago he told me he could put me on those Beta Blockers (sorry not sure on the spelling) but sence I'm still young they could cause more problems then I'm having now so I havent ever been on any meds for them! I dont wonder if hormones might have something to do with them, Ywhen I first started getting these I had them bad, lots of them during the day, well I ended up getting on the birth control pill about 3 years ago and it seems like every sence I got on the pill they have gotten lots better. I only have a few every blue moon and I also noticed when I do get them I'm on my period so I don't no maybe its just a concidence! Anyway good luck to anyone who has these things http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 10-04-2003, 02:08 PM   #12

BumFuzzled HB User
That sounds the way mine acts when I have a panic attack. Very scary. I have been checked and double checked since I was born w/ a heart condition and had a VSD repair at age 2 1/2. Talk to your doc about anxiety/panic attacks as well.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #13

zandra2003 HB User
Okay you all it is me again. This weekend I didn't have one well I guess it started Sunday night. Today it was bad just beating wrong all day. Now today I felt a little weird like a litte bit a dull pain in my chest but I had so many of them more than usual. Has anyone had this before? Also, I get a slight headache with them. Tonight has not been so bad but I laid outside on the hammock and tried to relax. Just feel like I going to kick over dead. I don't have any pain up my arms or my back or don't sweat (which is sign of heartattack) does anyone take a vitamin that they think helps? Also, you think I should take a asprin a day I know you hear that all the time? You all are so nice on here and I hope I get better. My family is so tired of me complaining! I probably making this worse by worrying about it all the time. Really Saturday and Friday it didn't happen at all????? Weird? Just wish it would stop!!! Now just worried about the slight pain in my chest? Hope everyone is good? Please say prayer for me? ~Zandra

Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #14
Inactive

dreamgirl138 HB User
I have that too and was just diagnosed with PACs (premature atrial contractions). It's not really a skipped beat, it's an early beat, and then the one after that makes up for the last one being early by beating harder. That's why it "flips flops" in your throat. It's scary, but I've noticed that if I don't drink too much caffeine, they don't happen.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:27 AM   #15

Carrie830 HB User
Well I have the skip beats and the extra beats, the skip beats you can feel your heart kinda pause for a second and then the extra beats are a more forcefull feeling, either one of them are scarey. I've had them for years and can't seem to believe they arent dangerous, Anyway hope you get to feeling better

Closed Thread