It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

Yank HB User
Post Alcohol and meds

I'm currently taking Advicor(cholesterol), Plavix (blood thinner), aspirin and Altace (blood presure) following an angioplasty 2 weeks ago. Has everyone here that is on these types of meds totally given up alcohol? I've given up cigarettes cold turkey, coffee, and all of the food I love but I'm not ready to give up the alcohol on the weekends. My doctor said I should only have one or two drinks and asked if I had a problem with that. I told him that frankly, yes I did. He said if it was a matter of quality of life, that all he could do is keep a close eye on my liver. I've read that alcohol and the cholesterol and BP meds are a no-no. I'm 36 and having some beers while watching the games is something I've always enjoyed. Starting to get seriously depressed about the idea that I'm screwed either way-if I take the meds and drink I'm screwing up my liver and if I don't take them I'm still screwed. Damn.

Old 10-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Inactive

cutup HB User
I'm not an every weekend drinker, but I do occasionally like to have a drink. Probably once or twice a month is all though. I take Zocor and I know that I should not ever drink, but I'm 41 and I feel like I want to enjoy the time I have left. I've already had a stent and a single bypass. I don't know how quickly my disease will progress but I am going to enjoy my life to a certain extent while I'm here. I think you just have to decide how much of a risk am I willing to take. My doctor keeps a close eye on my liver function as well. I've never really asked her if I could drink because it's never been a big issue for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
I would stay away from the stuff. My wife has and her meds seem to work soooooo much better.

Mudhound

Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #4

Johnny_Pinto HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Yank:
[B]I'm currently taking Advicor(cholesterol), Plavix (blood thinner), aspirin and Altace (blood presure) following an angioplasty 2 weeks ago. . . . I've read that alcohol and the cholesterol and BP meds are a no-no. . . .[B]
At the risk of stating the obvious solution, which for most people is far more repugnant than giving up alcohol, try a tiny change in diet and a significant change in physical exercise. Believe it or not with a small modification in the food menu and a significant daily exercise program in walking, you can get rid of the blood pressure medication and most likely the cholesterol medication. The exercise will work wonders on reducing your weight, increasing your physical endurance, improving your mental outlook and reducing the plaque in your arteries. In fact, as between diet and exercise--exercise. Exercise will increase the good cholestrol and build collateral arteries.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:41 AM   #5
(male)

Yank HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Pinto:
Believe it or not with a small modification in the food menu and a significant daily exercise program in walking, you can get rid of the blood pressure medication and most likely the cholesterol medication. The exercise will work wonders on reducing your weight, increasing your physical endurance, improving your mental outlook and reducing the plaque in your arteries. In fact, as between diet and exercise--exercise. Exercise will increase the good cholestrol and build collateral arteries.

That is my goal...to get off the BP and cholesterol meds...I've made drastic changes to my diet (used to be a fast food junkie) and bought a treadmill and have started off at 30 min/1 mile a day...I'm 5'9" and weigh 180 so I would like to drop another 10-15 lbs....Any idea on how many minutes/distance is ideal for building up good cholesterol?

Closed Thread